Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Territorial Cherry Barb behaviour (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/territorial-cherry-barb-behaviour-125745/)

JDM 01-15-2013 08:13 AM

Territorial Cherry Barb behaviour

I posted this over in the Cyprinid section but there isn't much activity over there... and this may not be species specific anyway.

The dominant male barb, determined only because he is the reddest of the bunch, oddly happens to also be the smallest. He defends his little piece of the tank with such aggressiveness that I wonder that he isn't harming any of the other barbs that encroach into his space, but none seem the worse for the chasing. He won't let ANY into this space. We have a male betta, Oscar, who isn't even looked at even when Oscar hangs in his space, which he doesn't do much anyway.

Somewhere along the way I dubbed him Boris, the Russian.

I didn't think that these barbs displayed this sort of territorial behaviour. It's always the same space, near the top of the upright driftwood right in front of the heater and he stops the chase short of centre tank, about a third. With twelve I am starting to wonder if I setup a similar space on the other side, would I end up with two territories and two dominant males? The tank is only 30" long and I hadn't planned on a dividing plant layout, just lots of tall rear plants with some smaller mid and foreground plants.

I'm not concerned, fish will do what fish will do, but is this normal for Cherry Barbs? The others chase each other but not in any specific area... everywhere... but not Boris.

Jeff.

1077 01-15-2013 08:42 AM

Is interesting to me,that you should post this.
I have noticed behaivor similar with one white cloud out of a baker's dozen,and one neon out of fifteen.
They run off any fishes near their spot almost without fail.
At first I thought perhap's their number's were too few, but increasing the number of fish has not made much of a difference.

JDM 01-15-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1391468)
Is interesting to me,that you should post this.
I have noticed behaivor similar with one white cloud out of a baker's dozen,and one neon out of fifteen.
They run off any fishes near their spot almost without fail.
At first I thought perhap's their number's were too few, but increasing the number of fish has not made much of a difference.

I have 12 Cherry Barbs... so I don't think low numbers are the culprit either. I expected one to be dominant, even in as many as twelve, it's the territorial thing that is odd... but perhaps not. I haven't determined exactly how many males and females are in the mix but I'd say close to half and half.

Considering how many may be in a shoal in the wild, twelve is probably not a representative number anyway.

Jeff.