Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   How to treat ich? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/how-treat-ich-125711/)

Homer16 01-14-2013 09:51 PM

How to treat ich?
 
I notice a couple of my Platys in my 35 gallon tank have a few white dots on their tail and fins. Theres maybe 3-4 per fish. I also have two dalmatian mollies, 2 gouramis, bala shark, 6 priscilla tetras and a rock shrimp. My 5.5 gallon had ich and I treated it with something at petsmart I got but it turns everything green. I really dont want to turn this 35 gallon green. Is there another method to use? I also have aquarium salt if needed as well

ETA- My tank is at 81 degrees

marshallsea 01-14-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer16 (Post 1390974)
I notice a couple of my Platys in my 35 gallon tank have a few white dots on their tail and fins. Theres maybe 3-4 per fish. I also have two dalmatian mollies, 2 gouramis, bala shark, 6 priscilla tetras and a rock shrimp. My 5.5 gallon had ich and I treated it with something at petsmart I got but it turns everything green. I really dont want to turn this 35 gallon green. Is there another method to use? I also have aquarium salt if needed as well

ETA- My tank is at 81 degrees

Temps over 85f for 2 weeks will kill it if you don't want to use meds.

Homer16 01-15-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1391117)
Temps over 85f for 2 weeks will kill it if you don't want to use meds.

Okay if I raise my temp to 87 degrees will it kill any of the fish I had listed in my first post?

marshallsea 01-15-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer16 (Post 1391324)
Okay if I raise my temp to 87 degrees will it kill any of the fish I had listed in my first post?

I've used this method twice and put my temp to 89-90f and I never saw a problem with Platys and a Pleco. I can't speak for any other fish. I would say just watch your fish and raise and lower the temp slowly. I believe this method is safer than meds, as meds are known to be hard on fish.

Homer16 01-15-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1391332)
I've used this method twice and put my temp to 89-90f and I never saw a problem with Platys and a Pleco. I can't speak for any other fish. I would say just watch your fish and raise and lower the temp slowly. I believe this method is safer than meds, as meds are known to be hard on fish.

Okay the tanks at 84 degrees now. I have a new 200 watt heater in there cranked up 89 degrees but it wasnt heating it up past 83 so I added a 100 watt cranked to 89 on the opposite side of the tank so hopefully this works. If the temp reaches 90 degrees doesnt it kill ich at that temp so I wouldnt need to leave it turned up to 90 degrees for more then a few days or?

marshallsea 01-15-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer16 (Post 1391349)
Okay the tanks at 84 degrees now. I have a new 200 watt heater in there cranked up 89 degrees but it wasnt heating it up past 83 so I added a 100 watt cranked to 89 on the opposite side of the tank so hopefully this works. If the temp reaches 90 degrees doesnt it kill ich at that temp so I wouldnt need to leave it turned up to 90 degrees for more then a few days or?

It won't kill it instantly, it takes up to 2 weeks. Ich can't breed in temps over 86f so it takes 2 weeks for all of the life cycles to run their course and end up not being able to breed. I like to put it at 89-90 just to make sure Ich has no chance to survive. My fish show no ill effects at 90f.

Homer16 01-15-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1391670)
It won't kill it instantly, it takes up to 2 weeks. Ich can't breed in temps over 86f so it takes 2 weeks for all of the life cycles to run their course and end up not being able to breed. I like to put it at 89-90 just to make sure Ich has no chance to survive. My fish show no ill effects at 90f.

Okay thanks. The temp got up to 89.5 this morning I am going to recheck it after dinner :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2