Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bored Of This.... Any Suggestions? (Tank) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bored-any-suggestions-tank-125671/)

Jsmarty 01-14-2013 02:22 PM

Bored Of This.... Any Suggestions? (Tank)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. Just to clarify i am not bored of the fish just the layout. They are a mix of african Chiclids (not to sure what though). Just wondering if anyone has got any suggestions on the layout and/or anything i can change/add.

Absntmind 01-14-2013 03:29 PM

Many cichlids live in rocky areas. Personally I have seen species tanks which used rocks (slate and such) to create shelf like areas/levels across the tank. Made the aquarium appear more interesting and the fish happier IMO.

Jsmarty 01-14-2013 03:32 PM

Cheers. I was thinking of moving the large piece of driftwood to the right, infront of the filter. And then getting some lace rock for the other side. The other thought was do i keep the gravel or change to sand?

Nilet699 01-14-2013 03:38 PM

I'd go for sand. I'm also with Absntmind - go for rock......any sort really; ocean, lava, slate, you could do anything here. I'd say slate was a good option with the wood though, and will provide a nice contrast.

I also like the multi level/shelves idea that Absntmind mentioned - BUT, IMO, i'd try and do it to look natural......way too much i see perfectly slacked slate into caves etc, and i think in an otherwise natural looking tank it just looks dumb, and out of place. Go for a more random approach.

SeaHorse 01-14-2013 04:27 PM

I agree on the rock, but not a rock area here and a wood area there... incorporate it more natural like it is sprinkled on the lake bottom. I think it will then look spectacular!

Jsmarty 01-14-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1390617)
I agree on the rock, but not a rock area here and a wood area there... incorporate it more natural like it is sprinkled on the lake bottom. I think it will then look spectacular!

What do you mean exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 01-14-2013 05:35 PM

I tuck plants in around rocks but you can add some stones here and there around the drift wood and maybe pile some up in the back right area.
There is a pic of my tank in my tab on the left. (the 75 gal) I have rocks and driftwood in there. But you can find rocks with holes drilled thru them too and lay a piece of slate across the back so the front of the tank is decorative and the back of the tank has places to hide.

essjay 01-17-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1390617)

Totally agree with Jakiebabie, you have a good foundation, just need to tweak it here and there to give it more oomph :-) Perhaps a darker colour mixed in with your substrate so it doesn't look too stark?

Google lake beds and such, have a look at other aquariums on here and you'll get an idea for what you like :-)