Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   really confused help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/really-confused-help-12567/)

fsmando 03-04-2008 11:12 AM

really confused help

I have a 55 gallon tank that has been set up for about 6 weeks. I am cycling with fish. My water paramaters have been the same for about a week and a half and I am confused.
Parameters
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 1.0
Ammonnia 0
I am using ApI master test kit.
even after 25% to 50% water changes the nitrites do not change much.
I have also tested my tap water and all readings are fine there.
Do I continue to do water changes until the nitrites go down or am I just lengthening the cycle time. My fish all seem to be fine, but I am trying to keep the water the best I can.

I did have a bout of ich about three weeks ago and medicated the tank with quick cure. Did get rid of the ich but did I set the cycle back.

I am new to all of this and just a little confused. how long will nitrits stay at this number?

Fat_Fender_40 03-04-2008 11:37 AM

How many fish do you have in the tank? Keep cycling the tank and eventually the nitrates will fall. You could be feeding too much, not have enough filtration or too many fish.

fsmando 03-04-2008 11:45 AM

I have way too many fish to be cycling with but i didnt know what i was doing when I started and employees where i bought tank suggested ok to put fish in.
Now I know better of course.

4 platys
4 black skirted tetra
4red eye tetra
5 albino corys
6 zebra danios
1 lyretail swordtail

I have two hob whisper 60 on the tank for filters.
I am only feeding small amounts of flake food once a day and four sinking shrimp pellets once a day for the corys.

also it is the nitrites that are high, not the nitrates.

Fat_Fender_40 03-04-2008 12:11 PM

okay, on your first post it said that nitrates were at 10ppm. But if it's the nitrites that are high, just continue your water changes frequently with smaller amounts each day. Do about 25% water change every day until your nitrites start to fall in order.

Your ammonia and nitrates are low which are good. Ammonia is really deadly and nitrates are second on the list. You nitrites being high means that your tank is or nearly is cycled and you may want to cut down on some fish which is generating more waste than your tank can handle right now. Bacteria is breaking down your ammonia and nitrates, so keep up on the water changes and see how it goes.

Don't try to do more than 25% water change, you could shock your fish with too much new water in the tank at once.

Flashygrrl 03-04-2008 04:39 PM

You want your nitrites to be gone and your nitrates are actually fine where they are, really (I swear). 20 is about as high as you go for an ideal tank. So just be patient (I know, it sucks), those last bits of nitrites will clear up and then you'll be good to go.