Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Domineering rainbow (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/domineering-rainbow-125649/)

lgregory 01-14-2013 10:03 AM

Domineering rainbow

I have a 125gal tank which has gone through hard times recently. I have a new filter and 6 platys and 1 6' Rainbow. It is a chaser now and once had two smaller rainbows who he chased obsessively. I would either have to try to rehome it. Not likely, or get 5-6 individuals of similar size to hopefully encourage more peaceful behavior. When I first bought it I also bought 2 others. This fish was always a chaser. I called my local pet shop, where I got him from 4 yrs ago and asked them to look for another lge male and 4-5 females. I expect their size will be smaller than he is. Does anyone know if this will work out well or will he just continue to chase. thanks fishhag1

Mikaila31 01-15-2013 02:31 PM

I would try him with a larger group. But I would remove him from the tank, add the group let them establish territory/social order. Then add the larger male back.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgregory 01-17-2013 07:57 AM

My rainbow

Thankyou so much for your response. Seperating him is a great idea. I have only the one tank. I am thinking of fabricating some sort of a tank separator. do you think it would be successful if it was clear plexi?

Mikaila31 01-17-2013 10:21 AM

I would use a plastic storage bin floating in the tank. Just change water on it regularly. I would not use anything really clear. You want the other rainbows to make asocial structure without him as he will have a harder time disrupting it. The more fish the better. Also rearanging the tank may help. I feel you would need more then just one other male or it will be targeted to much.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgregory 01-17-2013 03:19 PM

rainbow

Once again thanks for advice. For about a yr I had no filter, tank deteriorated despite frequent water changes. Sad story huh? All my life I wanted a beautiful planted tank. I came so close to dismantling and selling it. I have a filter now and will set up CO2 system next. Our water is extremely hard,PH >7.5. So the rainbow is a survivor. No experience with CO2 so will go slow about getting new fish till all is set up and stable. Meanwhile I will look for the largest rainbows. Does it matter if they are no the same type? And how fast is it safe to change the ph? It is so great to have a way to speak to other hobbyists who keep more complex natural tanks. Liz8-)

Mikaila31 01-18-2013 10:37 AM

Messing with the PH is not recommend and causes more issues then it fixes. My current tap has a pH of 7.8 so whatever yours is its likely fine. I prefer to stick with the same species but you can mix as well. Planted tanks are more complex in everything you have to understand about them in terms of filtration, light, fertilizers, substrates, plants, and fish. However the actual running of them is pretty simple.