Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking a 46 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-46-gallon-125641/)

SaveGoal 01-14-2013 06:53 AM

Stocking a 46 gallon

I am stocking a forty six gallon and I was wondering if these fish would survive together.

2x African Butterfly
1x Yellow Tail Spiny Eel
2x Convict Julie Cichlid
2x Striped Raphael

Thanks

SaveGoal 01-16-2013 06:39 PM

sorry, just Julie Cichlid not convict julie cichlid

Byron 01-16-2013 07:38 PM

Some of these fish have specific water parameter needs and they differ a great deal. The Julie Cichlid I am assuming is one of the rift lake species in Julidochromis, which needs hard water. The African Butterfly needs very soft water. The cichlid also is better with more of its own or other rift lake fish I believe, but one of our cichlid experts can verify that.

The Striped Raphael Catfish would get along with the Butterfly quite nicely, but would be best with more space. Check the profile [click the shaded name].

I kow little about the eel, but given its nocturnal predatory nature, I would be careful.

SaveGoal 01-18-2013 10:39 AM

is this any better

2x african buttefly
1x rainbow shark
1x zig zag eel

If this isn't overstocked, do you have any recommendations for other fish,

Byron 01-18-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaveGoal (Post 1395218)
is this any better

2x african buttefly
1x rainbow shark
1x zig zag eel

If this isn't overstocked, do you have any recommendations for other fish,

I don't know anything about the eel. The other two species should be OK together, though the "shark" should have a 4-foot tank [not sure what the length here is].

SaveGoal 01-18-2013 02:55 PM

would a small school of say around 5 corys survive and do you have any suggestions for other fish.

SaveGoal 01-18-2013 09:51 PM

or would 3 Panda Garra work

Byron 01-19-2013 02:16 PM

Responding to the last two posts/questions.

Panda Garra needs cooler temperatures and some water flow, quite the opposite of the African Butterfly [which I am assuming is still the intended first fish].

Corys should work with the AB. Not any of the "dwarf" species which tend to swim in the upper water and when breaching the surface would be sure of attack. But the larger species might be OK.

If it were me, for lower fish I would look at some of the peaceful smaller catfish, like the Whiptail Catfish. These stay down in the water. Other tankmates might be some of the dwarf cichlid species from South America; these also remain in the lower third of the tank, and like the AB need very soft acidic water. The Whiptails are fine with these.

Byron.