Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   new plant help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-plant-help-125605/)

Alex1331 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

new plant help

3 Attachment(s)
Ok i just resently changed my substrate to sand and picked up some new plants ..my first go at live plants super exited i got a oriental sword and a green and white acolus and they are in my 75 gal with my 5 angels and two sworttails was this a wise. choice? Wil my fish happily eat these? and what should be my plan of attack for new plants?

SomeDudeAtHome 01-13-2013 10:26 PM

Your placement with them is good since they will grow fairly large. Your fish shouldn't eat them either. My angels would try to take a bite out of my swords but never were able to do it. The only thing you might want to consider is some seachem flourish root tabs. My swords start to get thin and yellow when I haven't replaced the tabs in time. Also expect the leaves on the swords to die in a bit with new ones replacing them. They're usually grown emersed so when they are put in a new aquarium they'll have to adjust.

Alex1331 01-13-2013 10:29 PM

Tabs? Whats that? Lol and acually i moved them lol i will post a new pic

Alex1331 01-13-2013 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also i have two plecos one about 3 in. And one about 8 in will they eat my plants?

SomeDudeAtHome 01-14-2013 10:16 PM

These are the root tabs

Seachem. Flourish Tabs

Alex1331 01-14-2013 10:18 PM

My marbled angel likes eating the thin grass lookin one hes shredding it from the tips down:-\

Byron 01-15-2013 01:29 PM

Adding a lot more plants will help. One advantage is that fish will not find it so easy to attack them when there are more plants, and once they are established this should not be a problem. Angelfish are actually browsing leaves for algae and microscopic foods, and many fish do this; but delicate plants can be harmed by this, especially when few in number.

Pleco have been known to eat plants, so I would keep an eye on this. Again, more plants will spread this out.

Byron.

Alex1331 01-15-2013 01:57 PM

What kind of plants should i get?

Byron 01-15-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex1331 (Post 1391738)
What kind of plants should i get?

I find the common sword plant to be ideal. It grows relatively fast, uses lots of nutrients, and gets a decent size. Echinodorus bleherae in the profiles.

Your pygmy chain sword or chain sword, whichever they are, will spread well when they are established.

And some floaters, Water Sprite if you can find it; or Brazilian Pennywort a stem plant that grows very nicely floating.

These are all easy plants.

Byron.

redchigh 01-15-2013 04:54 PM

Whats an "aculus"?
Sounds like it might be a terrarium plant that won't survive submerged (probably why it's being eaten.)

If you mean "Acorus", I'm pretty sure they're for terrariums...