Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Suggest some fishies for my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/suggest-some-fishies-my-tank-125576/)

Pufferfish22 01-13-2013 01:22 PM

Suggest some fishies for my tank

I have a 150 litre tropical set up, currently home to 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 neon tetras (not going to increase these as my water doesn't seem to suit them and I've never managed to successfully keep them) 3 redline tetras (same as neons?) 5 cory's and 2 snails. My water here is hard and does contain naturally high levels of nitrate as we are a rural farming area. I'd like something that is eye catching and good on the eye and not aggressive. What can you suggest?

Byron 01-13-2013 05:05 PM

Do you have numbers for the GH (general hardness) of your tap water? And the pH? You should be able to find these out fro the municipal water suply folks, they likely have a website. "Hard" can mean many things, and some fish are much more demanding than others, so knowing the exact GH and pH will help.

And do you know the nitrate number? This is more serious as all fish are affected to some extent by nitrates, but when we know the number we should be able to suggest remedies.

And for those like me who think better in imperial measurement,;-) 150 liters is roughly 40 gallons. Do you have live plants?

And red line tetra could be any one of a few newer fish, but likely will be wild caught so they will be sensitive to water parameters and nitrates.

Byron.

JDM 01-13-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pufferfish22 (Post 1389314)
I have a 150 litre tropical set up, currently home to 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 neon tetras (not going to increase these as my water doesn't seem to suit them and I've never managed to successfully keep them) 3 redline tetras (same as neons?) 5 cory's and 2 snails. My water here is hard and does contain naturally high levels of nitrate as we are a rural farming area. I'd like something that is eye catching and good on the eye and not aggressive. What can you suggest?

As Byron mentioned, quantifying the hardness and pH would be helpful. Neon Tetra are more in the soft water direction, according to the profile here so if your water is hard enough it could affect them negatively. Also, they are a shoaling fish so having them in a group of less than six might also add to their problems.

I assume that you are on a well based on your nitrates being affected by the farming in the area and that your water may be on the high side of hard... close to 20dGH. Our water was over this, without the nitrates, so I looked into hard water fish that were not live bearers, (some will suggest something along that line but I have not looked at them at all, personal preference only).

My list ended up with Bloodfin Tetra, Black Widow Tetra, Flame Tetra, Pristella Tetra, and Cherry Barb. We ended up with a dozen Cherry Barbs. These would all be suitable for a 40 gallon tank. The barbs are a better choice for a community tank given our particulars but the others, due diligence applied, should be good choices for you also.

Jeff.