Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Future stocking options (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/future-stocking-options-125574/)

Nilet699 01-13-2013 01:03 PM

Future stocking options

I have discovered it MUCH easier to offer people small bits of advise when coming to stocking tanks than stocking my own. I currently have a 55g tall, itas 32'' Long x 16'' Deep x 26'' High.
Current stock list is;
6 x Rosey tetra
6 x Polkadot loach
2 x dwarf neon blue gourami's

The tanks planted, and will continue to be more so as time goes on - and i can finally get hold of the ones i want.....grr its a pain! Currently has a small gravel substrate that the loaches are more than happy digging away in. Will possibly (likely) end up 1/3 sand and 2/3 gravel. Also optional all sand, but the mrs likes the gravel and is stopping it currently.

So, back on topic, where do i go from here?
I had thought about boesemani rainbows as it seems a 50/50 throughout sites whether the tank is large enough, and tbh this is still my favourite fish, but that i will make the decision on that myself in due time i suppose.
Would appreciate any and all suggestions etc

oh, waters soft and slightly acidic>basic, around about 7 dead.

Nile

Byron 01-13-2013 01:13 PM

First, I would not consider Boeseman Rainbowfish for this set-up. One, they do not do well in soft water; two, they are quite active and this counters the Rosy Tetra. Three, they need more length, no less than 4-feet. [Check the profile.]

I assume the Rosy Tetra is Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, so first I would increase the group. This species is much better with more, in your case you have space so another 3-6 would be ideal. I personally would aim for around 12 in total.

This species as I mentioned earlier is quiet and sedate, so tankmates need to be thought out. The loach, though active, are probably not going to be an issue. Though I would like to know the species before saying more, and I'm not sure which species the "Polka dot" might refer to.

Leaving the loach issue for the moment, I would look at other characins for tankmates. There are many to choose from. Given the tank's dimensions of height over length, I would stay with the less-active swimmers, as these are more comfortable browsing around rather than swimming lengths.:lol:

Byron.

Nilet699 01-13-2013 01:53 PM

You are correct about the tetras, and the loaches are botia Kubotai, angelicus loaches.

Byron 01-13-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1389334)
You are correct about the tetras, and the loaches are botia Kubotai, angelicus loaches.

I have a group of those, they are fine--though they will nibble Echinodorus (sword) plants:shock:.

Previous suggestion holds. Look through the profiles of characins for the quieter species. Just off the top of my head, a good match with the Rosy would be the Black Phantom Tetra, cardinal tetra, Lemon Tetra, etc. Pencilfish are another. Your soft water opens up lots of options others wouldn't have.

Byron.

Nilet699 01-14-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1389367)
I have a group of those, they are fine--though they will nibble Echinodorus (sword) plants:shock:

Yes i have noticed that they have ruined one of my echinodorus blaheri leaves, however, this one was already a little torn when i got it, and since cutting it off....it was destroyed, they have left the others alone. We'll see how long this lasts though :-(

I want them echinodorus tennellus plants i mailed you about and covet so badly.......would they also ruin these.

As another point, i dont think my water is quite as soft as i though, as i checked up on it today and whereas for most of the region, it is v. soft > soft. I found a small sidebar on my part of the region where it says how the water is a little harder here, and so they combine it with the softer water.
I will do more poking about on this though, and failing that, ring them for the exact figures. I'm a little annoyed how i found it was tagged on at the bottom of about 9 pages later!!!!!

Byron 01-14-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1390305)
Yes i have noticed that they have ruined one of my echinodorus blaheri leaves, however, this one was already a little torn when i got it, and since cutting it off....it was destroyed, they have left the others alone. We'll see how long this lasts though :-(

I want them echinodorus tennellus plants i mailed you about and covet so badly.......would they also ruin these.

As another point, i dont think my water is quite as soft as i though, as i checked up on it today and whereas for most of the region, it is v. soft > soft. I found a small sidebar on my part of the region where it says how the water is a little harder here, and so they combine it with the softer water.
I will do more poking about on this though, and failing that, ring them for the exact figures. I'm a little annoyed how i found it was tagged on at the bottom of about 9 pages later!!!!!

Terms can be misleading, get the numbers. But "soft" is still likely OK for the characins.

Don't know about loaches nibbling chain swords, I don't have this plant in with them. I have the E. bleherae and they nibble holes but not bad enough that it bothers me, the plants are large and fast growing. Crypts lower down, they leave these alone.

Chesh 01-14-2013 03:18 PM

I'm with Byron, definitely add more tetra to your shoal - their behavior in a larger group is really amazing to watch, they will be happier and so will you - and the missus! If you're dead-set on Dwarf Gourami, you might want to look further into how good an idea it is to keep two of them together. From what I've seen and read, they can be little bullies toward one-another - even if you get a male/female pair you'll want to be sure to have somewhere to move the female to if the male gets too aggressive for her. You'll also want to be sure to keep them in QT for a bit longer than you would normally QT a new arrival. I'm not sure if stock in the UK is as bad as stock here in the states, but these guys are notorious for carrying some pretty nasty illnesses. It's a shame, as they're such beauties. . . Just to be clear, I've never kept them, personally - I looked into it for a while, and decided to steer clear, as there were too many potential problems for my tastes. :)

Can't wait to see how this tank develops! I have a 55g, too - but it's long, rather than tall. I don't know if I could reach the bottom in a tall! Best of luck!

JDM 01-14-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1389298)
I have discovered it MUCH easier to offer people small bits of advise when coming to stocking tanks than stocking my own.
Also optional all sand, but the mrs likes the gravel and is stopping it currently.
oh, waters soft and slightly acidic>basic, around about 7 dead.

Some words of wisdom.

Giving advice is far easier than using it yourself. You know they can take or leave it and it will never affect you either way. You know that you have to live with your decisions for some time and will worry out all the gory details. That takes time and effort.

As for the Mrs, the moment she is going to actually go and play in her gravel is the moment that she can override the fishes desire for sand.

I would not suggest that you list the number of fatalities when asking for new fish advice, many will just not give it for fear that you will kill them all... or is that a measure of water quality.... only 7 dead...

Now I am all out of wisdom... aren't you glad?

Cheers!

Jeff.

Nilet699 01-14-2013 03:41 PM

Haha Jeff i laughed so hard at that buddy!

The 7 dead- thats the Ph.

i have had ZERO dead fish........and i intend of keeping it that way!!!!!

Nilet699 01-14-2013 03:44 PM

As for the rest.

Your right, that IS the problem.....i DO have to live with my choices...and i want them to be the right ones!!!

Little confused by what you mean about the gravel and the playing bit....think im reading it wrong or soemthin? But the fish currently dont actually have a need for sand, the loaches are more than happy with the small grained smooth gravel as this is who it relates to really, its all about personal preference here.........mine is to keep the fish AND the mrs happy!!!! Now theres some wisdom! haha