Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Should i get a snail or two?????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/should-i-get-snail-two-125555/)

hobbyfishx2 01-13-2013 09:51 AM

Should i get a snail or two??????

I have been debating on getting a snail. I was wondering what is the best type to get for my tank. its a 20 gallon with a mix of
Orange platies x5
Zebra Danio x 3
Harlequin rasbora x 4
Blackline rasbora x1
lamp eye tetra x3
Clear tetra x3
Dalmatian mollie x 1

One other question i got rid of a couple fish because i was over stocked should i still get rid of a couple? I was consitering getting rid of the lamp eye's, the tank seems to be doing really well. all my levels are great other than a bit of a build up of algae, Which i remove by scubbing the tank. if i keep the lamp eye's do you have any suggestions on other fish that i should get rid of???

MetalArm3 01-13-2013 12:29 PM

Yes, your tank is overstock. This is evident by you having to scrub the class of algae so often. Snails make a great addition. By far the most favorite g uy in my tank. I would recommend a mystery snail, but only one since they breed ridiculously fast.

I see you mention you have livebearing fish (platties). In that case you will most likely always be overstock even if you get rid of some of your current fish.

What kind of filter do you have? I would look into upgrading it and keeping you current livestock plus a snail if you desire.

funkman262 01-13-2013 12:41 PM

I personally enjoy having snails in my tank. I have a bunch of ramshorns snails.

Algae isn't caused by being overstocked, and can grow in a fishless tank with no food being added. Algae grows mainly based on the water quality (nutrients in the tap water can be enough) and lighting. There are many factors though, and it depends largely on how the tank is set up (for example whether or not the tank is planted).

In a small tank like that, I would stay away from having so many different species of fish and just keep one large school. It makes the tank look a lot less cluttered and a school of fish can be really interesting to watch. Some species won't school unless there's another fish that frighten them though because they use schooling as a defense mechanism.

Stoke88 01-16-2013 02:19 PM

Snails are a great addition to any tank as long as their is food (algae). You should really do some research as to what kinds of snails would be best for your tank. Like said above, some snails like the mystery snails breed like crazy. For me this isn't what I want in my tank but maybe you do in yours. I have roughly 100+ Malaysian Trumpet Snail's in my 75g to aerate my sand but they control their own population. As long as I don't overfeed they tend not to over breed. Zebra Nerite snails are cool and usually don't breed unless their in brackish water. At least mine haven't.

Byron 01-16-2013 06:26 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I agree your tank is overstocked, from more than one perspective. You have too many fish, but you also have too few of several species so that makes the overstocking even worse.

Some fish are shoaling fish and need to be in a group. But you haven't space for more of these.

Byron.