Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   havin problems searching for stuff on here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/havin-problems-searching-stuff-here-125422/)

bayhay69 01-12-2013 01:34 AM

havin problems searching for stuff on here

When I try to search a particular topic with a "key word", a whole bunch of posts come up, but, now of the topic that I typed in. Am I doing something wrong ?
I'm trying to find out if I need 1 or 2 heaters for a 75 gallon.

Nilet699 01-12-2013 01:46 AM

Need 1. 2 would be much better though!

Romad 01-12-2013 08:20 AM

Two 150w heaters works really well - one one each end of the tank.

Nilet699 01-12-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1387775)
Two 150w heaters works really well - one one each end of the tank.

Haha, this was what i wanted to write, but seeing as though i was awake at 6.30 on a saturday, i was grumpy and you got the short but not sweet message. haha

Romad is right in saying that 1 at each end would be much better as this will keep the tank regulated temp wise much better throughout the tank.

I have 2 in my 3 ft tank and one is always on more than the other, which is the one at the opposite end of the my outflow pipe.

SeaHorse 01-12-2013 12:31 PM

I have a 75 gallon and I also have 2. Reason? I have had 3 heaters fail in the last 2-3 years and all on a Sunday night. Brrrrr till I can get into town to get a decent sized one. So I can't leave myself in that position. Depends on your circumstances. I have several tanks so I even have a spare 20 gal heater in my backup supplies but that will depend on your budget. I'm a firm believer in accepting 2nd hand stuff people want to pass on to me. ;-)

Byron 01-12-2013 06:34 PM

Agree wholeheartedly, always have two standing heaters in any tank that is more than 3 feet in length. [By "standing" I mean the heaters we hang in the tank; if you have a filter with a built in heating element, that will easily handle large tanks.]

I would probably up the wattage to 200w though. These work less hard to heat especially should the room cool such as during night in winter. Most heaters are intended to operate in tanks located in rooms that are not more than 10-15 degrees cooler than the intended tank water temperature.

Byron.

AbbeysDad 01-12-2013 09:37 PM

I'm with Byron. I originally just had a 200w heater in my 60g. I got to thinking about what might happen if the heater was to fail. I decided to add another 250w heater. This way either could maintain the temperature if the other was to fail. Usually one is dominant, but on occasion when the room temperature has been low, I've seen both on at the same time.

Search capabilities are somewhat limited to keywords and a search on 'heaters' would produce a lot of hits but not answer the question you had.