Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Lethargic non-eating green cories (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/lethargic-non-eating-green-cories-12542/)

direwolf 03-03-2008 07:43 PM

Lethargic non-eating green cories

Hi all-

In the last few days my 6 green cories I have basically stopped moving. They find a hiding spot under a rock or log and lay on the ground, where before these guys were nuts, flying all over the place. I have had them for a couple of months now, and this is the first they have done this. So, here are the specs on the tank below.

1. 40 gallon hex tall
2. Freshwater
3. The tank has been setup now for 3 months
4. 6 green cories, 6 lemon tetras, 1 angelfish (the angelfish and tetras are doing great)
5. No live plants
6. Temp is 76 degrees F
7. Eheim 2042 760 L Filter
8. No, C02 unit
9. Not much natural sunlight
10. 25% water change 1 week ago, and another 25% tonight
11. Try to change water weekly
12. Pinch of TetraMin tropical flakes twice a day, freeze dried brine shrimp every other day, and shrimp pellets and algae wafers once a day for the cories
13. 120 volt 19 watt light 12 hours a day
15. Nitrate is almost 40 ( i know a little high), Nitrite = 0, Total Hardness = 120, Total Alkalinity = 120-180, pH = 7.6
16. I am using Mardel 5 in 1 test strips
17. Last fish I bought was my Angelfish about 1 month ago

Any help would be appreciated, maybe the water change tonight will help. Just weird too see these guys are so lethargic when they used to be so crazy. Feeling bad for them.

Thanks

herefishy 03-03-2008 08:50 PM

Cut back on the shrimp and shrimp pellets. The cories may be constipated. Live foods do that. Try feeding a piece of zuchini or some thawed frozen peas. this should ease their "pain".

direwolf 03-04-2008 07:25 AM

Thanks, I will do that. But I don't think that is most likely the problem. I just recently got the shrimp pellets after they became inactive, thinking they were not getting enough food. But maybe they were getting there mouths on the freeze dried brine shrimp, so I'll back off on that too. This morning I actually saw them dart around a couple of times, but then back to there hiding spots. I'll see how they are tonight, and try the pea trick.

Thanks for the input.

Brian

direwolf 03-05-2008 05:29 PM

Well, after checking them out the last few days, I now realize they are basically afraid of me all of sudden. If I sneak up slowly after not being around the tank for awhile and view it from a distance, I see them all swimming around like crazy, scavenging for food. So, I guess, my next question would be is this normal? As soon as I get around the tank to check them out then back to their hiding spots, all sticking together. Oh well, at least I know they are being active when I am away.

Amphitrite 03-06-2008 08:29 AM

It could be that there aren't enough hiding places in the tank. I've found with corys that the more plants and places to hide there are, the more confident they will be and will come to the front of the tank a lot more.

As long as they are eating and look healthy enough, and your water parameters are spot on, I wouldn't worry about it too much.