Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ammonia concentration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammonia-concentration-125363/)

pop 01-11-2013 02:17 PM

ammonia concentration

Hello folks:
I want to raise the ammonia levels in a five gallon aquarium. How can I raise the ammonia concentration to above 5 ppm in a quick manner? I went to drug store to see if I could purchase pure ammonia but itís a restricted product due to its uses in making explosives and fertilizer the stuff at the grocery store have soap and other stuff in it.

pop

Nilet699 01-11-2013 02:48 PM

I know not where in the US of A but you can normally buy ammonia from hardware stores as it does have a purpose other than explosives!!!

JDM 01-11-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 1386850)
Hello folks:
I want to raise the ammonia levels in a five gallon aquarium. How can I raise the ammonia concentration to above 5 ppm in a quick manner? I went to drug store to see if I could purchase pure ammonia but itís a restricted product due to its uses in making explosives and fertilizer the stuff at the grocery store have soap and other stuff in it.

pop

Goin' to run some O2 testing?

Jeff.

pop 01-13-2013 09:45 AM

good guess iam interested in the removal of ammonia through aeration. and then compare to ammonia reduction by floating plants. pop

funkman262 01-13-2013 09:51 AM

Ammonia is available as a cleaning product in stores like Walmart, but they may contain surfactants (mine does). Not sure if that would matter for you anyway though.

JDM 01-13-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 1389092)
good guess iam interested in the removal of ammonia through aeration. and then compare to ammonia reduction by floating plants. pop

I still think that you will find the process less than efficient.... definitely compared to plants... But that doesn't imply that it is not worth trying.

Are you just going to run air or a pure O2 source, welding supply perhaps? Can you regulate it slow enough to bubble it or can you use a CO2 bubbler?

Jeff.

Cja313 01-13-2013 11:19 AM

I purchased pure Ammonia (Ammonia w/ Water) used to do Fish-less Cycle for my aquarium after trying Walmart and local stores and found all the ammonia products had perfume or surfactant stuff in it. Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products is where I purchased my small bottle of ammonia

funkman262 01-13-2013 11:35 AM

What will be the removal mechanism? From my understanding, ammonia can be stripped out of the water, but the water would need to be at a pH greater than 12 and it's more efficient as temperature and air flow are increased. If you're trying to oxidize the ammonia, then I believe a catalyst is required.

pop 01-14-2013 08:43 AM

Hello:
Such great suggestion I want to thank everyone for the input. I totally agree with the moderators about how effective plants are removing ammonia iam just playing with ideas.
I think I read that the higher ph the more elevated the ammonia concentration but less toxic than lower ph ammonia that is lower concentrations but more toxic. my thinking is desorption of ammonia from the water column and not oxidization of ammonia into alum (maybe wrong word).
The plan is to provide
5 gallons of water check temp and ph
Add ammonia check temp ph and ammonia concentration
Use whisper 300 air pump to push air into 2 micro-bubblers (bubble the heck out of the water).
Check ammonia, temp & ph every 15 minutes

If no change in concentrations over a couple of hours, then the idea is a failure.

I will check out dr. fostersmith.com for the ammonia.

pop

beaslbob 01-14-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1389159)
I still think that you will find the process less than efficient.... definitely compared to plants... But that doesn't imply that it is not worth trying.

Are you just going to run air or a pure O2 source, welding supply perhaps? Can you regulate it slow enough to bubble it or can you use a CO2 bubbler?

Jeff.

+1

But do the experiment anyway. Nice to see experimental results.

Bob