Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   flourish vs Flourish Comprehensive (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/flourish-vs-flourish-comprehensive-125339/)

rexpepper651 01-11-2013 02:19 AM

flourish vs Flourish Comprehensive

is it worth to pay double the price for the Flourish Comprehensive ? i just ordered my plants and ive read everywhere that this seems to be the best liq fert an most popular.

Geomancer 01-11-2013 06:10 AM

There is no "Flourish" by itself. Maybe you were looking at Flourish Excel?

"Flourish" is an entire line of plant supplements made by Seachem, but each product has its own name.

The "Comprehensive" is what you want for a general fertilizer, it has all the nutrients in the proportions plants need. Then there are others that target only a specific thing, like Flourish Iron only has Iron in it.

Flourish Excel is a liquid Carbon supplement, but I wouldn't recommend ever using it.

Byron 01-11-2013 12:49 PM

Agree. And to add a comment about the cost, while Flourish Comprehensive Supplement may cost more for a bottle compared to some other "fertilizers," this product is highly concentrated so you use very little. Don't know your tank size, but as an example if it is 30 gallons you only need 1/2 a teaspoon (5 ml) once a week, or perhaps twice a week, depending upon the plants' response. So this lasts a long time. Many of the other products, aside from the fact that they are not complete and thus have limitations to begin with, require you to dose considerably more than this, and with less result. They just aren't worth it.

This is not to say Flourish Comp is the only one, it isn't. Another equally good and almost identical in terms of amount dosed is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. I don't know how the prices compare, but both are good. And there are obviously others I have not seen or tried; but I don't recommend something I know nothing about. In most areas, one or both of the two mentioned products will be available. And ordering online is often much less expensive too, though this tends to be significant only when ordering the large sized containers as shipping costs have to be factored in.

Byron.

Boredomb 01-11-2013 10:14 PM

Hmmm I thought 5ml was for a 60gallon tank?
This is the instruction on the bottle:
" Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 250 L (60 gallons*) once or twice a week. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required."

Those are the guidelines I have been following. So just so I know have I been doing it wrong? Did I mess understand that??

equatics 01-12-2013 12:33 AM

My little 50 ml bottle says

"DIRECTIONS:

Use half a capful (2.5 mL) for each 125 L (30 gallons*) once or twice a week..."

For my little 10g, it's 2.5 mL divided by 3. 2.5mL is 1/2 teaspoon.

With an eyedropper, 60 drops = 1 teaspoon.

Divided by 6 = 10 drops per 10 gallons, or 1 drop per gallon.

Byron 01-12-2013 10:59 AM

I was going from memory again, something I should know better than to do.:roll:

Half a teaspoon is for 30g, I got that part right, but half a teaspoon is 2.5ml, not 5ml. Thanks B and N for catching this and clarifying.:thumbsup:

Byron.

rexpepper651 01-15-2013 02:06 AM

hmmm they are both the same bottle size and bottle but insides diff. i was just curious to what the diff was. i found a chart and the comprehensive has like 5 more nutrients in it. im still waiting on my plants.... 2 next day air my ass lol :evil: i guess they only ship on wed.