Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi fellow fish nuts! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-fellow-fish-nuts-125336/)

avraptorhal 01-11-2013 02:32 AM

Hi fellow fish nuts!

I'm returning to aquariums after a 4+ decades hiatus. I am now retired and I needed something to do and be. So I chose tropical tropical fish.

I started with a 29G tank for space and financial reasons - I'm in a 500 to 600 sq. ft. one bedroom apt having downsized from a a 1600 sq. ft. house. I have 2 HOB filters (penguin 200 & Aquaclear 50), crypts, anubias, Java fern, vals, swords (assorted),gravel, heaters, recently replaced Aqueon hood with glass canopy and Dual T5HO fixture.

I'm experimenting with foods,etc. and enjoying every bit of it.

Thanks for listening.

Bluewind 01-11-2013 06:04 AM

Yea! More crazy people! Maybe people wont notice how lolo I am if there's more of us huh? ;-)

It sounds like you hit the ground running. Any idea what you will stock it with?

Also, WELCOME TO OUR CRAZY CORNER OF THE WEB! :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Bacon Is Good 01-11-2013 06:20 AM

A 30 gallon is a great place to start... I startred with a 10 and 3 moths later got a 20, now i have a 30 setup, now I am setting up a 75... Whats next for my tanks? anyone want to guess? I am geussing a million gallon Orca tank

Romad 01-11-2013 07:30 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I can't think of a better retirement hobby :)

willow 01-11-2013 07:35 AM

hello and welcome. :-D
i'm not crazy it's all you lot :squint: :demented:

ChuckinMA 01-11-2013 08:55 AM

Welcome back - I had a similar gap in tropcial fish keeping, and you'll be surprised how much more is known now about water conditions etc. and the ability to monitor and adjust. What I've found is you can go as deep as you want iin understanding the chemistry and biology of the tank. Much less guess work now on how to respond to fish that are not thriving. Have fun!

Cole mccallister 01-11-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1386528)
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I can't think of a better retirement hobby :)

with animal testing they injected cat fetuses with jellyfish genes to do disease research and the result was glow in the dark kittens i want a red one and a green one lol but it`s true and also sad

Cole mccallister 01-11-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewind (Post 1386507)
Yea! More crazy people! Maybe people wont notice how lolo I am if there's more of us huh? ;-)

It sounds like you hit the ground running. Any idea what you will stock it with?

Also, WELCOME TO OUR CRAZY CORNER OF THE WEB! :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

hahaha I am scottesh in ancestry so dont talk about crazy to me util you have seen me lol

Cole mccallister 01-11-2013 09:34 AM

also :cheers::fish:

fish monger 01-11-2013 09:39 AM

Welcome to the site and back to the hobby ! It really is a wonderful way to spend your creative and animal loving energy. Have fun and good luck.