Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   So my friend's family is getting a 55 gallon today (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/so-my-friends-family-getting-55-a-125334/)

Misomie 01-11-2013 12:31 AM

So my friend's family is getting a 55 gallon today

This is her family's current set-up:

5 Gallon= Betta
10 Gallon= x5 Goldfish
55 Gallon= empty

I'm hoping to convince her mom to move the goldfish to the 55. They have x1 Popeye, 2x Fantail, and I'm not sure of what the other two are. (I haven't seen any but one of them myself)

Problem: Her mom wants an active aquarium. (I guess it might be my fault for always talking about mine... @_@)

What fish would be BEST to add with the goldfish? (pH= 7.6 I think)

I can almost garuntee that more will be added so I might as well get a list of those that would do best... They really know nothing. I taught my friend the basics today. She was really surprised.

I'm pretty sure they have plans for restocking the 10 as well. I'm thinking of recommending danios, guppies, ghost shrimp (one of their daughters thinks they are cute), and snails. Any other stock suggestions?

-_-

Bacon Is Good 01-11-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misomie (Post 1386432)
This is her family's current set-up:

5 Gallon= Betta
10 Gallon= x5 Goldfish
55 Gallon= empty

I'm hoping to convince her mom to move the goldfish to the 55. They have x1 Popeye, 2x Fantail, and I'm not sure of what the other two are. (I haven't seen any but one of them myself)

Problem: Her mom wants an active aquarium. (I guess it might be my fault for always talking about mine... @_@)

What fish would be BEST to add with the goldfish? (pH= 7.6 I think)

I can almost garuntee that more will be added so I might as well get a list of those that would do best... They really know nothing. I taught my friend the basics today. She was really surprised.

I'm pretty sure they have plans for restocking the 10 as well. I'm thinking of recommending danios, guppies, ghost shrimp (one of their daughters thinks they are cute), and snails. Any other stock suggestions?

-_-

WOAH WOAH WOAH. I have 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon,they are 3 inches, and I think thats overcrowded the only reason I have 2 is because my first one would just always sink to the bottom and not do much but since I got him his fried he is happpy... anyway defiantaley move the goldfish. I would put a few guppies, neon tetras, ballon mollies, and the shrimp. I have accsess to all of them so if you need any pm me.

thekoimaiden 01-11-2013 05:19 PM

Five goldfish in the 55 gallon will actually be rather active. I just have two, and they are all over the place. And when they get large it's a pretty impressive setup. Try to convince them to give the goldfish a chance to grow and become more active.

As for things that could go with them... that's a short list. It has to be something docile enough to not pick on them (that "popeye" goldfish is actually called a telescope and those eyes are pretty delicate) but also large enough that they won't eat it. I've seen people keep the larger livebearers with goldfish. Platies or swordtails. Dojo loaches are another interesting fish that people often keep with goldfish.

As for the 20 gal, guppies and ghost shrimp sound like a great idea. Danio are also neat, but zebras are really crazy active fish and would probably be bouncing off the walls in a 20 gallon. Glowlight tetra could work in a group of 7 or more, too.

Misomie 01-12-2013 02:44 PM

Thanks guys. I was thinking of recommending Dojos already but I'm not sure if I will because the tank is using gravel and that'll hurt them D:

I haven't thought of recommending platies and such yet. I'm sure they'll like them due to their variety in colors and general peaceful behavior.

*rant*

One time, before they adding in 4 new fish, I went down to Petco with them to help select which fish to get for their tiny tank to add to their stunted Fantail (he used to be in the five gallon and has grown better in the ten, then his health declined once the new guys were added). However, my goal was to make them leave with no new fish. I pointed out every flaw and disease in every fish I saw. Then I pointed at fish sizes and was able to keep them from getting new fish without telling them not too. XD

However recently they went without me and picked up the four new goldfish. I'm really surprised none of them have died yet. Their tank is never cleaned either. I asked my friend how often tank changes are made and she said her mom's version of cleaning the tank is refilling it when the water evapoarates away. (My mom sometimes does this with her bettas' tank- I was able to persuade her to move them from their puny tanks into a divided ten gallon- and whenever she does I snap at her. I see her once a week and point out her laziness whenever a clean hasn't been done, however they do have live plants to help out). There ten gallon also has tons of algae and my friend asked how to get rid of it. I told her to leave it as it is helping keep the fish alive. However I also said if she wants algae control she should get a snail for the ten and a Bristenose Pleco for the 55. I told her to NEVER get a CAE despite their cheap price.

I really think that people should have a license to purchase any kind of pet and sellers shouldn't be allowed to sell to those unable to keep the fish correctly (lately I realized that one of my Petco's employee is actually competent with fish care as I overheard him persuading people not to get a certain fish, the others...nope). Also some people just shouldn't have pets at all. My friend's family also has four dogs. They are mainly kept outside on a small porch (it's high off the ground so they can't escape) and are never/rarely (one in a blue moon) walked. :K

It seems as if the majority of pet owners are this incompetent.

*/endrant*