Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My 30 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-30-gallon-tank-125255/)

FranksTanks 01-10-2013 01:14 PM

My 30 gallon tank

3 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share the specs and a few shots of my 30 gallon tank.

SPECS

7 ghost shrimp
6 black skirt tetra
7 zebra danio
1 pleco
1 mystery snail

Plants include; Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Bamboo, Anubias and a couple of others that I forget the name of. Probably around 25 plants total in this tank right now.

1 piece of driftwood, planted.

Substrate; Mix of Aqua Culture Gravel (brown and red) and river rock bought from WalMart.

Filter(s); 1 - External Tetra FS 30-60 Power Filter, 1 - Internal Tetra Whisper 10-30 Power Filter.

Light; 1 - 17w T8 24" flourescent. Full hood.

Heater; 1 - Tetra 10-30 Submersible Heater. Placed right by intake of the FS 30-60 Power Filter.

Pump; 1 - Aqua Culture 20-60 with 4 way gang valve, that takes both inputs with 4 out. 2 outputs being used, 2 open.

Bubble Stones; 1 - 12" curtain at very back of aquarium, 2 small stones (1 at each front corner, connected by a T to 1 feed line).

Notes: This set up as been running since November 26th, 2012. Once I got everything together (substrate, decorations, majority of plants and I also put one course filter from another tank I had to help kick start the good bacteria) I added some liquid "quick start" in the water and then let the tank run for about 2 days. Then transfered the fish I had over from a 20 Gallon tank, and added in a few more. So far, the tank has been very successful. Taking water samples to the lfs often and they always are in good parameters.

Summary; I am a big believer in the use of real plants in an aquarium, and to be honest I think that is a large factor as to why this tank has been succesful so far, I have not had to deal with an ammonia spike, and very little fish loss. I had gotten a dalmation molly, but within one day of putting it in my tank, it showed signs of ich, and I ended up taking it back to the lfs I got it from. Really having fun with my new tank! :)

djembekah 01-10-2013 02:07 PM

what kind of pleco do you have?

FranksTanks 01-10-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 1385716)
what kind of pleco do you have?

Common Pleco, I believe the scientific name for it is; Hypostomus Plecostomus

He is probably 2.5 inches right now, and I know that down the road he will end up getting too big for the tank, hopefully by then we will have our 125gallon set up and can transfere him to that one.

HMlairy 01-10-2013 02:27 PM

Very cool, what's the red stuff at the bottom? :)

FranksTanks 01-10-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 1385732)
Very cool, what's the red stuff at the bottom? :)

Thanks!!

Some red gravel. Wanted to add a little bit for color, hopefully I won't have an issue with it down the road, so far so good!

JDM 01-10-2013 03:35 PM

Nice, love the "lots of plants" look.

You might want to keep an eye on the bamboo, it's not a great long term idea fully submerged, it's not aquatic.

Jeff.

HMlairy 01-10-2013 03:42 PM

Well the red gravel works well :) Keep the forum posted if you have any problems overall

FranksTanks 01-10-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1385815)
Nice, love the "lots of plants" look.

You might want to keep an eye on the bamboo, it's not a great long term idea fully submerged, it's not aquatic.

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff! And I will, I have read a number of posts about use of bamboo (fully submerged) and figured I would give it a try and see how it goes. I've seen folks say it has lasted many, many months with no issue and then others that said it did not last them long at all. Will keep you up to date.. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMlairy (Post 1385828)
Well the red gravel works well :) Keep the forum posted if you have any problems overall

Thanks!! And I will.. :-D

Byron 01-11-2013 12:53 PM

Nice aquascape there, good job. As the plants begin to establish and grow, it will change nicely too.

Byron.