Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Trust Your Instincts, Be Careful What You Buy! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/trust-your-instincts-careful-what-you-12525/)

thespiff 03-03-2008 10:14 AM

Trust Your Instincts, Be Careful What You Buy!

I used to own a Dojo Loach. Master Loachy was one of my favorite fish. I'd owned him for about 3 months, and he was always healthy, albeit a bit of a paranoid schizo. He was terrified of me, and just about everything else in the tank. I'd read that they do better with friends, so I spent the last couple months looking for another one of these guys to add to my tank in the hopes that it might help build his confidence.

This past Thursday I finally found a companion fish. However, the LFS had just gotten its fish shipment in, so the Dojo Loaches (and all the other fish they'd received that day) were still in the shipping bags floating in the tanks. I was a little hesitant to buy because of this, but I've been looking for another of these fish for a long time.

I talked to an employee, got him to open the bag for me and net out a fish. I noticed that in the bag of 6 fish there were 2 D.O.A.'s. OK, now I'm starting to think that I should just forget about it, come back in a few days and see if any of the survivors were still around. I was making small talk with the store owner, mentioned that I'd already bought one of these fish at this store and had been looking for a companion for a long time because he's totally paranoid. For whatever reason the fish store owner told me that I could have this fish for free. That combined with the fact that I really wanted this fish...I went against my gut feeling that these fish looked unhealthy and bought anyway, convinced that since my tank is stable he would recover from the stress of shipping and do just fine.

How wrong I was. Saturday morning I awoke to find the new loach floating lifeless at the top of the tank. One of my swordtails was floating beside him. My original loach was looking sickly, barely moving. I awoke Sunday morning to find him dead. I don't know what was wrong with this new loach, but I guess it was contagious. All of my other fish look happy and healthy, so I'm hoping that life will continue for the rest of my pets.

The lesson: When you see the red flags, obey them! If a bag of new arrivals has several D.O.A.s, don't buy. Heck, don't buy unless the fish looks like he's been living comfortably in an LFS tank for a few days. I bought this new fish thinking "worst case, a fish that was going to die anyway will die in my tank." That was NOT the worst case. What actually happened was the worst case.[/url]

fish_4_all 03-03-2008 10:21 AM

Been there done that. Is why I now wait until Saturday or Monday to get fish so they have a chance to be in the tanks at the LFS for a good 2-4 days. If I really want to make sur eI get what I want, I order them and pick them up when I am ready, not when the LFS tells me they are in.

willow 03-03-2008 03:30 PM

aww what a sad lesson to learn,i'm another been there done it. :(
there is a LFS not far from me,that labels the tanks that have
new fish in "These fish are not for sale they are Quarintined(sp) new arrivals )
they would probabley keep a particular fish aside for you,as i have also
seen a sign saying "this fish is sold"
i think they were in the wrong for letting you have the fish,
they should have held it for you.
thank goodness you didn't loose the entire tankfull.
:(

Lupin 03-03-2008 04:55 PM

I would expect a quarantine tank has been laid out especially for new fish. If not, get one and operate it with a sponge filter and a few hiding places.

thespiff 03-05-2008 10:48 AM

Yeah I pondered a quarantine tank. But I really don't see the usefulness of that, even with my recent experience. I don't add fish to my tanks often enough for it to get enough use.

Obviously here I should have known better, and I think 90% of the time that will be the case. Is a quarantine tank really worth the expense? I don't think it is. I just need to shop smarter.

herefishy 03-05-2008 12:18 PM

Yeh, hindsight is always 20/20 or so they say. Many times we become color blind and don't see the color red. We've all been there.

One of the neat things about this hobby is, as you grow, you accumulate more stuff, not junk mind you , but stuff. Stuff you know you can, and will, use later down the road. We start out with smaller pumps, lights, tanks, our fish grow. We buy a larger tank, lights, and pumps. What do we do with all of our stuff? I used to make hospital tanks out of the smaller tanks. The evolution of a being a fishkeeper.

Mating Slinkys 03-05-2008 02:24 PM

Not just the evolution of being a fishkeeper, but the start of Many Tank Syndrome! Good points from all, and as has been said before by many folks, find a LFS that you like and know is good and stick to it!

Flashygrrl 03-05-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespiff
Yeah I pondered a quarantine tank. But I really don't see the usefulness of that, even with my recent experience. I don't add fish to my tanks often enough for it to get enough use.

Obviously here I should have known better, and I think 90% of the time that will be the case. Is a quarantine tank really worth the expense? I don't think it is. I just need to shop smarter.

It's good to have if your fish develop something somewhere along the line, or tear up some fins bad enough so that they need to be moved, or reasons like that. And I'm sure you agree now that it's better than losing the fish you already have. Putting a new fish into an occupied tank is like a game of Russian Roulette....and the odds probably aren't as good.

crazy4fish 03-05-2008 04:54 PM

sorry about the 3 fishies that died. :cry: how many do you have left in the tank?

thespiff 03-10-2008 10:42 AM

Still have 2 Pear Gouramis, 2 neon swordtails, a leopard sailfin pleco, and a synodontis eupterus. They all look happy and healthy still. So fortunately I didn't lose the whole tank!