Tropical Fish Keeping banner

German Blue Ram

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Zule 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with German Blue Rams? I have a pair in my 55 gal community tank, and I was told when i purchased then that they were peaceful fish, however the male has become very aggressive towards all my other fish, and he attacks them all the time, he also chases the female too!! Is it possible they have eggs in there, or is this their nature? Also he is not afraid of size as he is attacking my clown loaches all the time!!!
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Karen :D

#2 ·
Hi Karen. In my experience, GBR's can be quite aggressive and it is very important to provide lots of hiding places. I kept mine in a very heavily planted tank, with open swimming space towards the front and didn't have any problems with them.

What other fish do you have in the tank, and is it planted?

#3 ·
kateyoup said:
Hi Karen. In my experience, GBR's can be quite aggressive and it is very important to provide lots of hiding places. I kept mine in a very heavily planted tank, with open swimming space towards the front and didn't have any problems with them.

Hi, Yes it is planted with some real and some plastic, I would not say heavily though. There are hiding places, although my Pleco has claimed one of those :roll:
I have....
1 TORPEDO BARB
1 SIAMESE FIGHTER MALE
2 BLACK WIDOW
2 GUPPY
2 BALLOON BELLY MOLLY
2 CLOWN LOACH
1 PLECO
7 CARDINAL TETRA
3 GLOWLIGHT TETRA
2 BLUE RAMS

Thanks for your help :D

#4 ·
kaz65 said:
kateyoup said:

Hi, Yes it is planted with some real and some plastic, I would not say heavily though. There are hiding places, although my Pleco has claimed one of those :roll:
I have....
1 TORPEDO BARB
1 SIAMESE FIGHTER MALE
2 BLACK SKIRT TETRAS
2 GUPPY
2 BALLOON BELLY MOLLY
2 CLOWN LOACH
1 PLECO
7 CARDINAL TETRA
3 GLOWLIGHT TETRA
2 BLUE RAMS

Thanks for your help :D

#5 ·
While were on the subject....can someone expain to me why the man at my trusted lfs told me to get wild GBR rather than tank bred??

#6 ·
Sorry Kaz, most of the time they are peaceful fish except when it comes to breeding time. They probably have babies on the way. They are still cichlids so at breeding time they will act like it. From what I've read, I'm looking to get a pair also, they need they're own territory in the tank just like Kate said. This territory includes anything on each side of it. So if they chose a rock they like, each plant or open area on each side is theirs..or they feel it is. You can try rearranging the tank. Decor and plants so everyone has to find a new home.

I'm not so sure how your tetras and guppies will make out in the tank. Mollys can be semi aggressive also when their space in invaded. A 55g is really too small for what you have in there. Maybe everyone is feeling a bit threatened due to not having enough territories. Try to get a pic of the tank and we can try to help with the territories. You have to keep in mind that the clown loaches will get pretty big, I think around 18 inches, and so will the pleco most likely. My common out grew a 55g in less than 1 1/2 years. He couldn't turn around anymore without tearing the whole tank up. I had to give him up after 2 years and he was my fav fish.

Hey Dawn....I'm learning!!!!!!!!! :D

#7 ·
Holly said:
While were on the subject....can someone expain to me why the man at my trusted lfs told me to get wild GBR rather than tank bred??
Ask him the source of captive-bred rams. Rams in Asian fish farms have been fed with food laced with hormones to improve their coloration. While it certainly seems advantageous to investors, it also has its long-term negative effects such as shortened longevity.

#8 ·
Holly said:
Sorry Kaz, most of the time they are peaceful fish except when it comes to breeding time. They probably have babies on the way. They are still cichlids so at breeding time they will act like it. From what I've read, I'm looking to get a pair also, they need they're own territory in the tank just like Kate said. This territory includes anything on each side of it. So if they chose a rock they like, each plant or open area on each side is theirs..or they feel it is. You can try rearranging the tank. Decor and plants so everyone has to find a new home.

I'm not so sure how your tetras and guppies will make out in the tank. Mollys can be semi aggressive also when their space in invaded. A 55g is really too small for what you have in there. Maybe everyone is feeling a bit threatened due to not having enough territories. Try to get a pic of the tank and we can try to help with the territories. You have to keep in mind that the clown loaches will get pretty big, I think around 18 inches, and so will the pleco most likely. My common out grew a 55g in less than 1 1/2 years. He couldn't turn around anymore without tearing the whole tank up. I had to give him up after 2 years and he was my fav fish.

Hey Dawn....I'm learning!!!!!!!!! :D
Hi Holly, I actually went to my LFS for some advice the other day, and they told me to either have a planted tank or fish!! so I have taken out my real plants and gone with all plastic. She also told me that I could have more fish if it was not planted, so do you really think I have too many fish in there? I don't want to put any of them at risk :(
I will take some pics of my tank and post some pics for you
:D
Thanks for all your help BTW
Karen :D

#10 ·
kaz65 said:
Hi Holly, I actually went to my LFS for some advice the other day, and they told me to either have a planted tank or fish!! so I have taken out my real plants and gone with all plastic. She also told me that I could have more fish if it was not planted, so do you really think I have too many fish in there? I don't want to put any of them at risk :(
Once again this hobby amazes me every day! Just the fact that someone told you that tells me they should not be working around fish. I've had a planted tank for about 3 years now. Real plants help keep your nitrates and nitrites down as well as put oxygen in the water. Next time you go back, ask the person how fish live in the wild with plants in the tank. I need to know his answer for that!

Unfortunately I think you've learned 2 lessons here. Most fish stores know how to SELL fish and product. They test the water with little test strips and smile cause everything is ok. I live in NJ which is pretty populated to put it nicely. I can drive 1 1/2 hour radius and only find 2 maybe 3 fish stores that I really trust. Now, that's most of NJ and Philly. They are in sales and plastic plants cost more than real ones and you have to buy more of them to get the same effect since they won't grow into the tank. I man was completely wrong. Feel free to put as many real plants in your tank as you'd like. You fish will be happy with your decision.

As far as the tank, you are over stocked and as long as you know that the loaches and pleco will out grow the tank in about 6 months, all is good. Some of your other fish are territorial/ nippy. Mollys can be semi aggressive fish as well as the GBR, barb and betta. The barbs really like to be in schools which will reduce their aggression and I would suspect that the barb and rams are picking on the betta a bit. Believe it or not, most fish will kill the betta before the betta kills another fish. They're not the ruthless killers they're made out to be. I had one over night in my tank at home to bring it to work and my swordtails killed him. He never fought back. Keep an eye on him just to make sure no one is picking on him. I think that particular barb gets pretty big also..I have to do some research on that to be sure. Cichlids, the rams, like caves. I would maybe put some rocks in the rank or some type of caves so they will have their "own" place. The tank looks great and for being a newbie, you've done a great job at trying to make you friends comfortable. I would defiantly add more hiding places. Try to create 7 territories. Right now from the pictures I can see 2. The log and the driftwood. My thought would be the pleco or loach have taken over the log and the rams have taken the driftwood. The problem with that is in the rams eyes, their territory is from the tall plants to the left of the log to the tall plants on the other side. That's a pretty big area of the tank that no one else will be allow.

Mods...If I forgot to mention something or said something incorrect please tell me. I'm still learning also and this is about as far as Dawn and I have gotten on my tank!

I love your GBR by they way...it's making me want mine even more!

#11 ·
Holly, in my opinion, I really do not mind whatever opinions you and others post. I always value opinions regardless of the content as long as there is an explanation or reason for the suggestions made. We learn something new everyday. Your explanation above is well written.

#12 ·
As long as this topic is fresh, I have a little question to interject about GBR's. While trading in my pleco at the closest fish store to me, I noticed they had some blue rams labeled as "long-fin." I can't seem to find much on these on the internet, but the fins, the dorsal especially, are much longer than regular german blues. Has anyone else seen these around? Here's a picture of one.

#14 ·
Zule, it's only a veiltail morph. There is nothing different about it when you compare it to ordinary ones. Still the same requirements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.