Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Weird White stuff on glass, cycling tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weird-white-stuff-glass-cycling-tank-125134/)

DjBootleg 01-09-2013 01:38 AM

Weird White stuff on glass, cycling tank
 
Whats up guys.. I'm back with another question lol well two.. =)

I've been cycling a 30 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now.. I just noticed there is weird egg looking things stuck to the glass.. all around, all sides... IDK what it is but to best describe it, it looks like eggs... No fish in their so idk how it would be.. Also the final question is, at the top looking into the tank, there is like a film over it.. Any ideas what that is? good, bad??

Thanks guys!!

Nilet699 01-09-2013 03:17 AM

Hi,
Whats in your tanks? If you have put in live plants my guess would be that snails piggy backed into your tank and the eggs belong to them, but I could be wrong..... can you throw up a picture of them?

As for the film, how is your surface agitation? A lack of this is the usual cause of this and it can be simply solved by laying some paper towels quickly on top to soak it up.... brown are best, as a lot of the white ones contain bleach and other crap...... maybe even the recycled paper ones....you could also just increased the agitation to rid yourself of it....

DjBootleg 01-09-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1384249)
Hi,
Whats in your tanks? If you have put in live plants my guess would be that snails piggy backed into your tank and the eggs belong to them, but I could be wrong..... can you throw up a picture of them?

As for the film, how is your surface agitation? A lack of this is the usual cause of this and it can be simply solved by laying some paper towels quickly on top to soak it up.... brown are best, as a lot of the white ones contain bleach and other crap...... maybe even the recycled paper ones....you could also just increased the agitation to rid yourself of it....

I only have one plant in there.. And I know its not snail eggs.. Its A LOT.. Pretty sure it because I guess I put to much water primer in.. Like to much slime coat. I did a little research.. Anyway, I'm gonna do a 70% water change later today...

And the film on top.. I added a air stone to disrupt it,, going away now.. thanks =)

jentralala 01-09-2013 03:55 PM

Are you sure it's not just bubbles? New tanks can have a lot of bubbles hanging on the sides for awhile.

Nilet699 01-09-2013 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1384710)
Are you sure it's not just bubbles? New tanks can have a lot of bubbles hanging on the sides for awhile.

Ahh I forgot about that one! Damn them annoying bubbles. They look like this?

DjBootleg 01-09-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1384916)
Ahh I forgot about that one! Damn them annoying bubbles. They look like this?

Yeah kind of, can't see to well from the pic. But I think I took care of it earlier, I brushed em off and they got sucked into the filter. So they are no more. haha =)

JDM 01-10-2013 08:11 AM

If it wasn't bubbles it could have been a fungus... I had that show up on a piece of driftwood. Whitish hazy sort of thick film and after a few days what looked like white spots appeared on the surface of the wood under it. I let loose with some tiger snails and they ate a lot of it up, the rest I scrubbed off with a tooth brush and sucked it out with a water change. It's still there a bit but it is not progressing, it never migrated to the tank or plants and the snails come back for a bite now and then.

The unsightly bubbles are annoying, I thought they were going to keep coming back... great relief when they disappeared for good.

Jeff.

1077 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjBootleg (Post 1384210)
Whats up guys.. I'm back with another question lol well two.. =)

I've been cycling a 30 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now.. I just noticed there is weird egg looking things stuck to the glass.. all around, all sides... IDK what it is but to best describe it, it looks like eggs... No fish in their so idk how it would be.. Also the final question is, at the top looking into the tank, there is like a film over it.. Any ideas what that is? good, bad??

Thanks guys!!

With all of the tank's you list,,You should not need to cycle a new tank but rather borrow some filter material from one or more of the other's.
The borrowed filter material will be full of the bacteria we wait on while cycling without said borrowed media.8-)

DjBootleg 01-10-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1385464)
With all of the tank's you list,,You should not need to cycle a new tank but rather borrow some filter material from one or more of the other's.
The borrowed filter material will be full of the bacteria we wait on while cycling without said borrowed media.8-)

I had done that.. The 30 G that I am talking about here has been up for months. then I tore it down to transfer it to a 55 G. Took the filter, decor and gravel and put it in the 55.... When I set back up the 30 G (few weeks ago) I took the original filter off the 55 G, put a new one on, and put the old one back on the 30 G... So it was cycled naturally for about a week then the old filter was put back on for a few days.......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2