Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling detritus..? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-detritus-124998/)

bubbles1 01-07-2013 08:37 PM

Cycling detritus..?

so my tank is really close to being done cycling, i was told to put some filter media in from another tank in order to help cycle faster, so i did so and my ammonia is now at 0 which good! but it made a fair bit of mess.. will the detritus from the filter media dissolve? or should i suck it us wih the gravel vacuum after the cycle? and there are no fish in this tank just plants.

Nilet699 01-07-2013 11:34 PM

I dont know about the detritus, but most substrates tend to always have this, but if its a real mess, hoover it- its not adding anything good to your tank really. What did you it in by the way? Most people use ladies tights.

Most people would advise you that in a well planted tank you can pretty much ignore the cycling phase of your tank and add fish straight in due to the plants taking all am/trites etc up.

JDM 01-08-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1382738)
so my tank is really close to being done cycling, i was told to put some filter media in from another tank in order to help cycle faster, so i did so and my ammonia is now at 0 which good! but it made a fair bit of mess.. will the detritus from the filter media dissolve? or should i suck it us wih the gravel vacuum after the cycle? and there are no fish in this tank just plants.

With the plants, having no ammonia is not necessarily a sign of a completed cycle. If your nitrites and nitrates never spiked its not cycled.... but that is not an issue as the plants take up the ammonia directly, the nitrates/nitrites may never actually "spike".

Plants do a better job than the bacteria anyway, 4 to 50 times faster ammonia uptake.

Oh, just suck up the crap, it's of no value to the tank now, cycle or not.

Jeff.

AbbeysDad 01-08-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1382994)
I dont know about the detritus, but most substrates tend to always have this, but if its a real mess, hoover it- its not adding anything good to your tank really. What did you it in by the way? Most people use ladies tights.

Most people would advise you that in a well planted tank you can pretty much ignore the cycling phase of your tank and add fish straight in due to the plants taking all am/trites etc up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1383162)
With the plants, having no ammonia is not necessarily a sign of a completed cycle. If your nitrites and nitrates never spiked its not cycled.... but that is not an issue as the plants take up the ammonia directly, the nitrates/nitrites may never actually "spike".
Plants do a better job than the bacteria anyway, 4 to 50 times faster ammonia uptake.
Jeff.

For the startup of a heavily planted tank (not sure if this is one), cycling is moot since the plants will process the ammonia. It should be noted that this requires a fair amount of plants and a minimal amount of stock. In time, beneficial bacteria will develop to compete with the plants and better balance the system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1382738)

You say your tank is close to being cycled, but does not have any fish. You don't mention if or how you're adding an ammonia source to feed the nitrogen cycle. Without it, no cycling has even begun yet. However, as mentioned, if you have plenty of plants, it doesn't matter as much. Just make sure you begin with just a couple of fish at a time, then wait a week or two before adding a couple more. Starting slow this way produces the best success stories.
As far as detritus from the filter media you should have rinsed first, just remove it with a siphon hose.