Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Best guppy food? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/best-guppy-food-124893/)

aemaki09 01-06-2013 05:59 PM

Best guppy food?

Hi there!
Recently I had 2 female guppies rehomed into my 26 gallon betta sorority tank without my knowledge. As soon as I saw them I removed them and put them into a spare, heavily planted 2.5 until I can figure out what to do with them. 1 of them had fry, so the fry are seperated into a different heavily planted 2.5 and I really dont know what to feed as I'm a betta person and not a guppy person.
For the fry I have microworms and hikari first bites available, I also have some BBS that I can hatch, but I'd rather not if I have another option.
For the adults I only have omega one tropical fish flakes.
Are these foods okay? If so which of the fry foods should I feed more often? If not what else is recommended.

I dont plan on keeping them, but would still like to offer them the best while I have them.

DragonFyre14 01-06-2013 07:58 PM

The fry would probably love microworms or bbs. I personally don't feed Hikari first bites much. I'm not a big fan of it because it is a powder, but nutrition wise it is good. I just feed my fry what I feed the adults. I crush the flakes into a fine powder.
For my adults I usually feed color enhancing tropical fish flakes (I believe it is Tetra min?) and I give them bloodworms for one meal a week.

Can't say I'm feeding them the healthiest food out there, but they do seem happy. The tropical fish flakes you have right now should work fine for the adults and the fry.

aemaki09 01-06-2013 08:29 PM

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

DragonFyre14 01-06-2013 10:15 PM

No problem :) Guppies aren't really too picky. If it fits in their mouth, they'll usually try to eat it ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

aemaki09 01-06-2013 10:21 PM

I just wasn't sure if there was a best food for them like there was bettas. I know they are omnivores so I figured they need a little bit of meat and greens in their diet and I'm not sure what to look for.
Posted via Mobile Device

DragonFyre14 01-06-2013 10:25 PM

I'm not sure. I haven't really heard much of people saying "Oh this is the best guppy food" or "this guppy food is really poor quality". I definitely hear it much more with bettas. I can't really say much otherwise:)
Posted via Mobile Device

MSG 01-06-2013 11:10 PM

For guppies you can feed them ANY type of fish food.

Unless they're the rare wild type guppies, or expensive breeder specific lines of guppies the lowest quality food you have on hand will be fine as long as the fry can eat it.

DFrye, mentioned pretty much most of it.

I don't bother spending top dollar on the "highest quality food" for the guppies. Most have genetic issues from inbreeding & giving them the best food does nothing to change their destiny.

The food you're feeding the bettas could also be fed to the larger guppies, but they don't have the pellet crushing abilities bettas do.

Guppies seem to struggle less with flake type or slowly dissolving fish foods.