Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   The shotgun approach to planting a tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/shotgun-approach-planting-tank-124636/)

JDM 01-04-2013 08:29 AM

The shotgun approach to planting a tank
 
I over planted my tank with a fairly wide variety of plants figuring that either they would all take off and do well or some would and others wouldn't leaving me with a selection of plants that will work in my aquarium without having played guessing games... the shot gun approach to plant selection basically.

It would suck to have picked the three initially that would not do well only to have to start all over again.

The list as it stands initially is as follows: (in no particular order)

Java Fern
Java Moss
Dwarf Sword
Brazilian Pennywort
Green Cabomba
Amazon Sword
Crypt 1
Giant Vallisneria
Ludwigia (red)
One other yet unidentified stem... of course it's the one doing the best so I'll find out today at the LFS what it is.

For my own benefit I like to write about some of what I do and I figured that I might as well do some of that here as it pertains to plants. Maybe someone else will get something out of it or even make a suggestion to help me with something that I stumble upon.

Jeff.

beaslbob 01-04-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1377631)
I over planted my tank with a fairly wide variety of plants figuring that either they would all take off and do well or some would and others wouldn't leaving me with a selection of plants that will work in my aquarium without having played guessing games... the shot gun approach to plant selection basically.

It would suck to have picked the three initially that would not do well only to have to start all over again.

The list as it stands initially is as follows: (in no particular order)

Java Fern
Java Moss
Dwarf Sword
Brazilian Pennywort
Green Cabomba
Amazon Sword
Crypt 1
Giant Vallisneria
Ludwigia (red)
One other yet unidentified stem... of course it's the one doing the best so I'll find out today at the LFS what it is.

For my own benefit I like to write about some of what I do and I figured that I might as well do some of that here as it pertains to plants. Maybe someone else will get something out of it or even make a suggestion to help me with something that I stumble upon.

Jeff.


That's basically what I did when I started and actually still do.

I think you will find out what works for you and your system.

my .02

ps (Is like anacharis as well)

SeaHorse 01-04-2013 10:12 AM

Ok now you've done it!.... we need pics to see the progression. We're all addicted to that sort of thing you know!

beaslbob 01-04-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1377703)
Ok now you've done it!.... we need pics to see the progression. We're all addicted to that sort of thing you know!

+1

JDM 01-04-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1377703)
Ok now you've done it!.... we need pics to see the progression. We're all addicted to that sort of thing you know!

Sorry, I thought I had some for one of the plants I was playing with as I was going to post one today... turns out they weren't on my phone.:oops:

Now I am heading in to pickup some fish so you won't see anything until earliest tonight.

Jeff.

fish monger 01-04-2013 10:33 AM

None of the plants you listed are out of the realm of doing well together. Placement is important. For example, shade low light plants ( Javas, Crypts) with moderate light plants. The highest light plant you listed is the red ludwigia. That should be in a position to receive plenty of light.

JDM 01-04-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1377725)
None of the plants you listed are out of the realm of doing well together. Placement is important. For example, shade low light plants ( Javas, Crypts) with moderate light plants. The highest light plant you listed is the red ludwigia. That should be in a position to receive plenty of light.

Yep, pretty much what I did. Ludwigia got front and centre, it was my wife's choice to break the green up.

I'm running LEDs so I don't think that my light levels will ever be too much for anything... only maybe a little low for a red plant type.

Jeff.

SeaHorse 01-04-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1377725)
None of the plants you listed are out of the realm of doing well together. Placement is important. For example, shade low light plants ( Javas, Crypts) with moderate light plants. The highest light plant you listed is the red ludwigia. That should be in a position to receive plenty of light.

Oh that is interesting... I suddenly had an "ah ha" moment from what you said.... :shock: Why I didn't get this before is beyond me.
I have Giant Vals in my back left corner which travel across the tank.... the plants that need the most light should be over at the right end of the tank? right? Cause it is darkest where the val's are thickest. (or cut them back, which I really don't want to do.)
Does cutting Giant Vals' back promote spreading instead? (Like cutting off the extra flowers from a pumpkin vine so one big pumpkin will grow?)

What is the best way to get your new purchases to multiply? Stem plants you grow tall and cut them and re-bunch right? But what about spreaders?

Jeff alot of buying plants seems to be trial and error but I'm following your thread hoping to learn from you here. My first planted tank too. But like you I hate seeing something melt away or get yellow/brown leaves and spots.

Byron 01-04-2013 01:06 PM

I also can't see any issues in the combination of species, though I am not expert by any means in allelopathy. But the light will I suspect "weed out" some plants, in particular the cabomba and red ludwigia. GH also plays an important role in these.

Byron.

MemawsFish 01-04-2013 07:47 PM

I pretty muh took the same approach with the exception that I tried to make sure I didn't have anything that required alot of bright light. I stuck anacharis bunches in each back corner - behind driftwood and rocks, some java fern at the end of a log, two different types of anubias in front of another, come cardinal plant and undulata (?) in the middle. I came home tonight and two of the undulata were pulled up and one of the anubias. Two plants have nibbles in them. :( They will pester them if they're floating but generally leave them alone when planted. Problem is, my catfish will mow them over or the gar will if they panic. Can't plant anything near their favorite burrow spots or they don't stay planted long, How is your tank doing? Tried planting duck weed but they ate it before it had a chance to grow.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2