Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   White/Opaque Growth Bacteria/Fungus?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/white-opaque-growth-bacteria-fungus-124523/)

Cja313 01-03-2013 11:14 AM

White/Opaque Growth Bacteria/Fungus??
 
I have a 55 Gal Aquarium which I havent put any fish into yet because I am cycling the tank (Fishless Cycle with Ammonia). Im about 2 and half weeks into the Cycling phase and I notice this.....
its like a white growth on the rubber suction cup of my water circulator. (also noticed it on the rubber portion of my air stone nd the rubber portions of my Fluvial 406 intake/outake hoses (rubber portion is only 2" or so near the surface). The Growth doesnt cling to plastic, the glass or any of the rocks.

Please see the 3 attched pics:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1452_4484670749789_1160504659_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/734337_4484670789790_1055150556_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/200426_4484671229801_1767174603_n.jpg

there is a long 2-3" x 1/2" piece of growth i outlined almost like a ribbon.

Other helpfull background info....this tank was cleaned out throughly after I lost fish about 2 months ago. (scared it might be the same thing....I noticed fin rot and some white grown on the fins of fish which took over the tank and killed fish within 3 days)

everything in the tank is brand new...except the HOB filter which was throughly cleaned out as well...
I highly doubt that whatever it was was in the filter and survived because it was cleaned and scrubbed with hot water and was not filled with water for about 4-6 weeks.

Only other thing I think it could be was something on my hands when I was doing water testing and or moving some sand around 2 days ago. Im pretty sure this is sudden and not growing over time. def within the last 4-5 days if not sooner. Any advice? I have Melafix and Pimafix which I used one time to try and treat the fish I had a few months ago. Should I dose the tank with either one or both? Will the Bacteria med (can't remember if its Melafix or Pimafix) harm the nitrofying bacteria Im working on growing in the filters? Thanks!!!

Byron 01-03-2013 06:28 PM

The colour in the photos may be off a bit due to the light. If this is really white, then it is a fungus of some sort. If it is greenish or grayish, it is more likely an algae of some sort.

I wouldn't go dumping medications in the tank. Try cleaning this off (remove the filter, clean it under very hot water with a brush). Then see if any returns.

Cja313 01-03-2013 07:53 PM

I fairly confident it's not algae simply because I hardly have the light on suing the cycling process. Maybe 2-3 hours max a day. Some days I don't even turn it on. It's It's it's between gray and hire in color. Oddly it only attaches to rubber surfaces not the glass or plastic intake tubes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1376801)
The colour in the photos may be off a bit due to the light. If this is really white, then it is a fungus of some sort. If it is greenish or grayish, it is more likely an algae of some sort.

I wouldn't go dumping medications in the tank. Try cleaning this off (remove the filter, clean it under very hot water with a brush). Then see if any returns.


Cja313 01-03-2013 09:20 PM

One other note. Nitrites are 5.0+ppm. Nitrites spiked about 10-11 days into cycle , did a 50% water change 2 days ago and nitrites still reading 5.0+. The next day is when I noticed the possible fungus growth.

My python syphon has dark black algae growth in the tube areas but this has been like this for a while. Doubt it could be the cause....just giving as much info as possible.

Cja313 01-04-2013 08:42 AM

more pics
 
heres more pics of it growing on the rubber portion of the intake/outtake filter hoses. Notice its only on rubber, not on the plastic.....

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...66232411_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...84721051_n.jpg

and this is a pic of the Python syphon tube ive used for the past 3 years....It def has old algae growth in it, but I doubt this is the cause....but maybe it is. Any advice on how to clean it? or just discard and purchase a new one??

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...30556347_n.jpg

1077 01-04-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cja313 (Post 1377638)
heres more pics of it growing on the rubber portion of the intake/outtake filter hoses. Notice its only on rubber, not on the plastic.....

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...66232411_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...84721051_n.jpg

and this is a pic of the Python syphon tube ive used for the past 3 years....It def has old algae growth in it, but I doubt this is the cause....but maybe it is. Any advice on how to clean it? or just discard and purchase a new one??

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...30556347_n.jpg

Can clean the Python by running bleach/water solution through it.
I hook up pump to the pthon and then fill sink with bleach/water solution and pump pulls the water through the python and back into sink where it is once again drawn through the python.(for about thirty minutes to an hour)
Is VERY impotant to then let the hose to python dry for day or two while stretched out along the floor, (not rolled up) or outdoors if not to cold.
Other's use Hydrogen peroxide, but I prefer the bleach/water solution.About two cup's bleach to sink full of water.
If it pleases you,,you can then repeat the process with water /dechlorinator in sink after the bleach/water cleaning.

Byron 01-04-2013 12:44 PM

The Python issue is different, and 1077 has a good method. Rinse the python very well with fresh water after the bleach, and it must thoroughly dry in air as he mentioned.

To the fungus, which is what I think this is. Interesting that it only occurs from the rubber. I think I suggested removing this and really cleaning it, very hot water, brush, bleach solution but rinse very well and air dry afterward.

Cja313 01-04-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1377689)
Can clean the Python by running bleach/water solution through it.
I hook up pump to the pthon and then fill sink with bleach/water solution and pump pulls the water through the python and back into sink where it is once again drawn through the python.(for about thirty minutes to an hour)
Is VERY impotant to then let the hose to python dry for day or two while stretched out along the floor, (not rolled up) or outdoors if not to cold.
Other's use Hydrogen peroxide, but I prefer the bleach/water solution.About two cup's bleach to sink full of water.
If it pleases you,,you can then repeat the process with water /dechlorinator in sink after the bleach/water cleaning.


Thanks for the tip, you mentioned for a bout 30 minutes, running the bleach/water solution through the python.....Im pretty sure my sink is standard size and only holds about 5-10 gallons....which the syphon would probably suck up in less than 5-6 min. do you slow down the rate of suction by barely turning the faucet on in the sink?

Cja313 01-04-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1377898)
The Python issue is different, and 1077 has a good method. Rinse the python very well with fresh water after the bleach, and it must thoroughly dry in air as he mentioned.

To the fungus, which is what I think this is. Interesting that it only occurs from the rubber. I think I suggested removing this and really cleaning it, very hot water, brush, bleach solution but rinse very well and air dry afterward.


I will do this this weekend. Do you agree that it probably wont hurt to does with a Fungi med, since I have no fish/plants in the tank as of yet? I can then do water change(s) in a week prior adding the carbon back into the filter?

1077 01-04-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cja313 (Post 1377925)
Thanks for the tip, you mentioned for a bout 30 minutes, running the bleach/water solution through the python.....Im pretty sure my sink is standard size and only holds about 5-10 gallons....which the syphon would probably suck up in less than 5-6 min. do you slow down the rate of suction by barely turning the faucet on in the sink?

I attach the pump to the hose, and this end goes into full sink of water/bleach and other end empties into same side as the pump. Water is just being pulled from the sink into the hose,and back into the sink (recirculate).(stopper in sink)
Also use the pump on the python to drain the tank's when performing water changes only.
Drop the pump with hose attached, into the tank and other end goes to the sink in kitchen.
Is much faster, and does not waste any water as python does if using sink adapter to drain water from the tank.
Pump I use moves approx 300 GPH.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2