Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   High water temperature... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/high-water-temperature-124503/)

essjay 01-03-2013 07:44 AM

High water temperature...
 
Hi all :)

I'm in week two and a half of cycling my new tank and in readiness for fishies, bought a heater and thermometer etc.. Put the thermometer in and its registering a temp of about 26*C with no heater... Today, with the heat we've been having, the temp is up to 27*C and will probably go higher tomorrow... (Set to be 44*C outside!!!)

I know it's not a major concern at the moment, but what happens when I have fish in there? What's the best method of keeping the temp down if it gets too hot for the poor little things?

My house is very well insulated luckily, so inside temp rarely gets above 28-30*C and air-con is bliss... Will be cranked tomorrow that's for sure!!

Thanks all :)

JDM 01-03-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay (Post 1375888)
Hi all :)

I'm in week two and a half of cycling my new tank and in readiness for fishies, bought a heater and thermometer etc.. Put the thermometer in and its registering a temp of about 26*C with no heater... Today, with the heat we've been having, the temp is up to 27*C and will probably go higher tomorrow... (Set to be 44*C outside!!!)

I know it's not a major concern at the moment, but what happens when I have fish in there? What's the best method of keeping the temp down if it gets too hot for the poor little things?

My house is very well insulated luckily, so inside temp rarely gets above 28-30*C and air-con is bliss... Will be cranked tomorrow that's for sure!!

Thanks all :)

Australians.... you've got to learn not to carry on about your heat when we are sitting it MINUS 27C.

Cripes!

You can get chillers but what are the maximum temp ranges of your planned fish? They can tolerate high range for some time.

Oh, don't mind me so much... just cold.

Jeff.

Byron 01-03-2013 12:43 PM

If the fish you intend to get are within the normal tropical ranges of temperature, meaning 75-77F and above, this should not be problematic. Assuming the outdoor heat is seasonal, and not permanent year-round. We here in North AMerica have heat waves in the summer, and most fish can manage through this. Plus an air conditioner does help us and the fish.:-)

Byron.

beaslbob 01-03-2013 01:09 PM

44C :shock: holy s***

(for you english types that's abt 110F i think)

If your house is comfortable for humans you tank should be fine.

essjay 01-03-2013 07:08 PM

Thanks guys :)

I have my heart set on a Betta male and some friends, still deciding on the friends at this stage..

In saying that.. I was at my LFS the other day and fell in lurve with the Moss Tiger Barbs they had... :roll:

I know they aren't compatible with Betta's so I'm still deciding what to do.

Byron 01-03-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay (Post 1376856)
Thanks guys :)

I have my heart set on a Betta male and some friends, still deciding on the friends at this stage..

In saying that.. I was at my LFS the other day and fell in lurve with the Moss Tiger Barbs they had... :roll:

I know they aren't compatible with Betta's so I'm still deciding what to do.

Tank size isn't mentioned, but if you want a community I would not include a Betta; this is better as a stand-alone fish. Check our profiles, lots of fish there.

essjay 01-03-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1376888)
Tank size isn't mentioned, but if you want a community I would not include a Betta; this is better as a stand-alone fish. Check our profiles, lots of fish there.

Sorry Byron, my tank is 100L :-) I must say I am leaning towards the tiger barbs after seeing them the other day, cute little buggers.. ;-)

FishyFishy89 01-03-2013 08:02 PM

Some bettas can do well in a community. It will all depend on the betta you get. I've found that it is easier to watch the betta in it's solo home using some minor bottom feeders to test their aggression; shrimps, snails and loaches. Also, using fish that aren't brightly colored tends to help a bit.

essjay 01-03-2013 09:01 PM

Agh!! :frustrated: The more I look the more confused I get.. lol I'll probably change my mind 15 times before I finally make a decision... (I'm a girl, my perogative.. ;-))

Although.... most of the fish I'm interested in seem to have a range not above 26-27*C.. My tank at the moment is 29*C... Any thoughts? Is my bacteria going to suffer?

FishyFishy89 01-03-2013 09:23 PM

What chose could you be making that makes you think your bacteria may suffer? What are you getting confused about?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2