Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Order from ebay? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/order-ebay-124471/)

jrury 01-02-2013 08:18 PM

Order from ebay?
 
Has anybody ever ordered plants or fish/inverts from ebay?

Shewbert 01-05-2013 01:51 PM

You are better going to a reputable dealer where you can see the condition of the plants, on Ebay you will see a photo of a lovely bushy plant and receive a half dying little plug or seedling.
I won't say all of them are like that, but I prefer to see exactly what I am buying,, condition etc
Support your trusted fish stockists.
Ray

jrury 01-05-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shewbert (Post 1379695)
You are better going to a reputable dealer where you can see the condition of the plants, on Ebay you will see a photo of a lovely bushy plant and receive a half dying little plug or seedling.
I won't say all of them are like that, but I prefer to see exactly what I am buying,, condition etc
Support your trusted fish stockists.
Ray

that is what I was worried about. gonna keep looking Going to search around here and the local fish forum first

butterbean 01-05-2013 03:43 PM

I have found that most lfs (not petco or pet smart) if they don't have something I want like snails, plants & fish they will special order them for me it usually takes about a week or two. The only time I needed to even put a deposit for what I ordered was for my assassin snails because they didn't want to keep them if I changed my mind because they would eat there snails they had for sale .. go figure :lol:

jrury 01-05-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterbean (Post 1379831)
I have found that most lfs (not petco or pet smart) if they don't have something I want like snails, plants & fish they will special order them for me it usually takes about a week or two. The only time I needed to even put a deposit for what I ordered was for my assassin snails because they didn't want to keep them if I changed my mind because they would eat there snails they had for sale .. go figure :lol:

Yeah the only problem is the LFS around me usually only have salt water stuff, I have a friend who's neighbor owns one that i need to try but haven't found time for the 45 minute drive.

Absntmind 01-05-2013 08:51 PM

A while back I had trouble finding certain plants at LFS and decided to give ebay a try. Personally my first experience was fine as the plants I ordered showed up healthy and snail free. With one of my orders I ended up with much more than expected (java moss).

Though a second order later of some vals was a little different, as I ended up seeing BBA on them after a couple weeks. IMO I believe it got introduced to the tank with that last order. Yet, I have also had bad experiences in the past with fish and plants purchased locally...

I would suggest reading up on all the reviews before ordering any plants, but all said and done I would order from ebay again. I think you are taking the same risk in buying a plant from a local store as you would from ordering them from an ebay seller with a good rating.

jrury 01-05-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absntmind (Post 1380206)
A while back I had trouble finding certain plants at LFS and decided to give ebay a try. Personally my first experience was fine as the plants I ordered showed up healthy and snail free. With one of my orders I ended up with much more than expected (java moss).

Though a second order later of some vals was a little different, as I ended up seeing BBA on them after a couple weeks. IMO I believe it got introduced to the tank with that last order. Yet, I have also had bad experiences in the past with fish and plants purchased locally...

I would suggest reading up on all the reviews before ordering any plants, but all said and done I would order from ebay again. I think you are taking the same risk in buying a plant from a local store as you would from ordering them from an ebay seller with a good rating.

I was going to go to a seller with large store front and order one of the cheaper plants and see if it arrives dead or alive and whatnot unless i can find a LFS near me..

dave56 01-05-2013 11:28 PM

Look on Aquabid. They have many vendors that sell plants, and TONS of fish.LOL Thats where I get most of my stock!!

Stoke88 01-06-2013 10:47 AM

I just ordered some plants from mikeswetpets on ebay and they look great. I ordered some stuff my LFS couldnt get. Id order from him again.

jrury 01-06-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 1380814)
I just ordered some plants from mikeswetpets on ebay and they look great. I ordered some stuff my LFS couldnt get. Id order from him again.

I will check his storefront out! thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2