Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   clown ended up in pump chamber (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/clown-ended-up-pump-chamber-124449/)

Big Dogs Little Pigs 01-02-2013 04:49 PM

clown ended up in pump chamber

and now he's flat out GONE. i noticed he was MIA when i got home from work. looked all through the tank with a flashlight, couldn't find him then noticed he was in the pump chamber!

i drained the water down to about 1", went outside to feed the piggies while i waited for the sediment to settle. come back inside thinking i will just gently catch him and put him right back into the tank. he is completely gone. i cannot find him. period. there is no way he could get into the first chamber where the carbon filter is. i suppose he could go back and forth from the other 2 chambers but i doubt it. the middle chamber (where the bioballs would normally go) is completely empty. i took the pump and tubing out. i took the sponge out. he is just plain NOT THERE!

anybody have any ideas? i checked all around on the floor, around the hood, nothing. :(

i called oceanic customer service. all i got was "well ma'am, he has to be there somewhere. just keep looking." grrrr!!!

Reefing Madness 01-02-2013 05:29 PM

Fill it back up, leave it normal for a few hours, if he's hiding, ya got him spooked to all get out now. Gonna have to let him settle a bit before he comes back out.

Big Dogs Little Pigs 01-02-2013 07:08 PM

this is just the weirdest thing ever! i let everything settle down and used my super-powerful headlamp to look down into the chambers. i did not see him anywhere, in any of the 3 chambers. i took the pump out, took the tubing off, checked everywhere. no fish. took the sponge out, cleaned it, left it out. let everything sit for another hour to settle again. shined light. no fish. he just isn't there. ANYWHERE!

my only hope is that he jumped back into the tank when i blinked my eyes and he's just hiding, probably terrified, poor thing.

i pulled all of the cords from behind the stand to make sure he didn't jump completely out of the tank. didn't find him. looked all over the floor, nothing.

while i was searching the bottom of the pump chamber, i did find a dead gobie. clowns are not jumpers, i'm not sure gobies are. how and why on earth are my fish ending up in the pump chamber??? gah!!!

Reefing Madness 01-02-2013 07:13 PM

Some Gobies will jump. But, thats a very good question, how the heck are they getting in there???

Big Dogs Little Pigs 01-02-2013 07:58 PM

the burning question is, where the HEY did he GO??? i am gonna have nightmares about the clownfish that ate st. louis!!

Reefing Madness 01-02-2013 08:09 PM

LMAO. Got me. I've had fish end up missing before. But my gut guess is he's hiding.

Big Dogs Little Pigs 01-02-2013 09:13 PM

my gut isn't so hopeful. hope your gut wins!!

Reefing Madness 01-02-2013 09:19 PM

Yea, me toooooooo.

Big Dogs Little Pigs 01-02-2013 10:09 PM

YOUR GUT WON!!! **happy dance** i don't know where that little sucker was hiding, honestly, but i thought i'd take one last look before bedtime. he was in the pump chamber. this time, i took the pump out and got him netted and back in the tank. his little buddy was SO glad to see him!!!

HOWEVER, i found the other missing goby and this one is still alive and kicking...errrr...swimming! i can't get him up off the bottom of the chamber to get him in the net, i don't have a small enough net to work with in such a tight space and the slotted spoon i tried was useless.

i'm going to bed. he'll have to stay there tonight and hopefully i can figure it out in the morning!

brian, your gut ROCKS!!!

Reefing Madness 01-02-2013 10:30 PM

LOL, your killin me here!!! If it ain't one thing its another.