Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Molly floatingat top of tank and unable to correct herself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/molly-floatingat-top-tank-unable-correct-124349/)

CWfromSD 01-01-2013 06:06 PM

Molly floatingat top of tank and unable to correct herself

:-( Please help, my molly just started floating at the top of the tank and isn't able to correct herself... shes trying and she just cant. A couple of days ago there were thick white bubbles that appeared on the top of the tank water that are still lingering around.. Shes in a 10 gallon with only 1 Cory Catfish who seems fine but scared. The temp is around 75 degrees and I did a 40-50% water change with totally pure filtered water. Her tail looks like its been eatin, with a piece kind of hanging off the back... Please Help!!

SeaHorse 01-01-2013 09:30 PM

Hello, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Molly. Sadly I'm afraid if she is not able to right herself and she seems to be missing part of her body that she may not make it. Are they the only 2 fish in the tank? One Molly and One Cory?
When you say you used pure filtered water to do a water change, is that different than the water that is normally in the tank? Meaning do you normally use de-chlorinated tap water and this time you used something different?

Shewbert 01-01-2013 10:16 PM

Can you supply your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels ? is your tank cycled ?
I would suggest a large water change (at least 70%) and filter clean as soon as possible, 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water,,,(treat a 10gal tank as 9 gals, remember substrate plants ornaments etc lessen the capacity of the tank)
turn up your air supply to get some oxygen in the water.
Do you have live or plastic plants?
But need the levels sent before accurate advice can be given.
Ray

angelleg12 01-01-2013 10:49 PM

I keep mollies also, when I first started my tank, I had a problem similar to that only it happened to all my mollies shortly after they had their fry. I was told it was nitrite poisoning. I upped the oxygen lvls in my tank and cut of the filter and sadly some of the fish were to far gone to be saved. But 5 of the fry made it. But that was months ago. I have only one of the babies from that fry now as i gave the rest to friends and family that also have tanks. Mollies are easy to take care of but hard to heal when not healthy. Clean your filter real good if you have a bio sponge i wouldn't scrub it but I would rinse it real well with purified water and up you oxygen lvls. Hope this helps

Shewbert 01-01-2013 11:59 PM

My thinking also, it is why I have asked for levels to be sent, mollie is more than likely gasping for oxygen from water surface,, mollies are fairly hardy fish but they do not tolerate high nitrate readings.
If there is a chance left for the fish in the tank, the above advice must be undertaken immediately.
Mandy,,Marine biologist/vet

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelleg12 (Post 1373819)
I keep mollies also, when I first started my tank, I had a problem similar to that only it happened to all my mollies shortly after they had their fry. I was told it was nitrite poisoning. I upped the oxygen lvls in my tank and cut of the filter and sadly some of the fish were to far gone to be saved. But 5 of the fry made it. But that was months ago. I have only one of the babies from that fry now as i gave the rest to friends and family that also have tanks. Mollies are easy to take care of but hard to heal when not healthy. Clean your filter real good if you have a bio sponge i wouldn't scrub it but I would rinse it real well with purified water and up you oxygen lvls. Hope this helps