Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Nitrates Are Way Too High. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/nitrates-way-too-high-12429/)

crazy4fish 02-29-2008 02:39 PM

Nitrates Are Way Too High.

i have a 29 gal FW tank and the nitrates are extremely high. :( i cant get them to go down. all the other things like ph, and nitrites are fine. the only other thing that needs fixing is the hardness. the water is currently pretty hard and i have been trying to soften it forever :x (tips on ways to do this would be appreciated as well). is there a way to lower nitrates that i havent heard of? please, any suggestions will be helpful. :wink:

Holly 02-29-2008 02:59 PM

How high is high? I'm having the same problem with my water being hard. I tried peat and now I have a softner pillow in there. I'm going to test it tonight to see how it works.

thespiff 02-29-2008 03:01 PM

On lowering Nitrates:
You mean, other than regular water changes? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

crazy4fish 02-29-2008 03:09 PM

well "high" is the highest the test strip goes. let me know if what you do works.

and i try to change the water 25% every week but i have been falling behind lately. :oops:

Flashygrrl 02-29-2008 04:26 PM

Get rid of those darn test strips...they might not even be testing correctly, could you have gotten them contaminated somehow? Are you fish showing any signs of illness?

crazy4fish 03-01-2008 09:18 AM

the test strips couldnt have gotten contaminated cause i keep they closed up unless i am taking one out. if i get rid of them how will i know if my water is ok?

and all my fish are fine and healthy, they are even breeding and all of the fry are surviving.

fish_4_all 03-01-2008 12:26 PM

4 words: Liquid regeant test kit. I bought test strips to test them when I got my API test kit. The nitrates tested out on the strips at 80+ppm. The liquid test showed 20ppm. This was verified by my LFS. Test strips were brand new and that inaccurate.

Tainted or not, they are terribly inaccurate in most cases.

Another thing to check is your nitrates in your tap water. Take a quart jar and leave it out overnight and then test your tap water.

herefishy 03-01-2008 12:41 PM

Great advice all. Liquid reagent testing may not be the absolute most accurate, but we don't need to know the reading down to the 1/1000000. Test strips should be banned from the lfs's. Sorry to inform you that you wasted you're money buying them.

Now, back to my water changes.

crazy4fish 03-01-2008 12:53 PM

well the strips also said that my water was extremely hard.... is that wrong too?

jeaninel 03-01-2008 01:40 PM

How is the stocking in the tank? You may need to do more than 25% per week if your overstocked.

I also recommend buying the liquid test, even if for now you just get the one for nitrates. They're around $5-$6 each.