Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help! Tank has chip (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-tank-has-chip-124276/)

Homer16 01-01-2013 04:17 AM

Help! Tank has chip
 
I feel so stupid. I thought I checked it over good enough before I bought it. I noticed tonight a chip on my 35 gallon. Its help water fine for 24 hours. I do not notice any leaks nor do I notice any silicone coming through. I dont have the money to replace it or have it repaired unless theres as cheap way to do it at home. Its 1/2 an inch in length and 1/4 inch in width. Not sure how deep but the glass is 1/4 inch thick and the chip at the deepest point is no where near half of 1/4 inch.

The guy I bought it from likely wont give me some money back

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...ps051f10fc.jpg

Nilet699 01-01-2013 04:24 AM

Where in the world are you?

We have a company here in the UK called autoglass. Fixes chips in car windows. Using some kind of epoxy resin or something. Either look for a similar company, it's Really cheap to have it fixed! Or find the resin. Just call the company and find out if it's aquarium same, no doubt someone here will know.

Happy new years.

Homer16 01-01-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1372424)
Where in the world are you?

We have a company here in the UK called autoglass. Fixes chips in car windows. Using some kind of epoxy resin or something. Either look for a similar company, it's Really cheap to have it fixed! Or find the resin. Just call the company and find out if it's aquarium same, no doubt someone here will know.

Happy new years.

They charge easily $100 to do that, I just did the shield of the car :(

Nilet699 01-01-2013 04:32 AM

Haha really?!?! Equivalently it's like $13 here for small chips. Buy the stuff yourself then. Or clear aquarium silicone- though structurally I'D prefer the resin.

Homer16 01-01-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1372429)
Haha really?!?! Equivalently it's like $13 here for small chips. Buy the stuff yourself then. Or clear aquarium silicone.

I found this stuff here locally The Home Depot Canada is this what I need?

As for the silicone I just use the stuff from the aquarium supply shop? Do I use the epoxy resin on the outside and add some extra silicone on the inside right where the chip is?

Or just leave it?

Nilet699 01-01-2013 04:54 AM

I can't find that product. Website says "we're making some changes blah blah"

Well any chip in glass can fracture and split with heat changes or stress, which the water could put on it, so personally I would want to put it directly into the chip to fix it. Which is why you need to find out if it's aqua safe.

Homer16 01-01-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1372432)
I can't find that product. Website says "we're making some changes blah blah"

Well any chip in glass can fracture and split with heat changes or stress, which the water could put on it, so personally I would want to put it directly into the chip to fix it. Which is why you need to find out if it's aqua safe.

Well if im using the aquarium silicone on the outside of the tank to fill the chip it would be safe. The chip doesnt go through so if I used that epoxy resin, it wouldnt get into the water. I would drain it and let it set for 48 hours before re filling

MSG 01-01-2013 06:09 AM

In case you didn't notice....
 
That corner chip doesn't seem significant enough to create a leak, but with the NEW photos in this thread. I can definitely tell you that the tank with the CHIP has been RESEALED. I suspected it might have been "resealed" from your first thread, but the photo wasn't clear enough.

The several FIXES you two have discussed are UNNECESSARY in my opinion based on the picture.

Nilet699 01-01-2013 06:22 AM

Fair play. Don't think I'd ever take the risk with ny fish though.

Homer16 01-01-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 1372450)
That corner chip doesn't seem significant enough to create a leak, but with the NEW photos in this thread. I can definitely tell you that the tank with the CHIP has been RESEALED. I suspected it might have been "resealed" from your first thread, but the photo wasn't clear enough.

The several FIXES you two have discussed are UNNECESSARY in my opinion based on the picture.

Is it a bad thing it was resealed? I was thinking about draining it to the point of the chip and adding an extra blob of sealer??? Or should I just stop obsessing over it and leave it alone?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2