Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What type of cory are these? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-type-cory-these-124223/)

Sylverclaws 12-31-2012 03:07 PM

What type of cory are these?

Bah, I know, bad me. lol They had the scientific name up and I can't remember it. Anywho, I got four cories to go with my emeralds, they were lonely in a huge tank. lol And for the life of me, I can't remember what they were. I was thinking possibly the Corydoras ambiacus, what's the non-scientific name for that, and what these are if that isn't right? It's bugging me that I can't remember their name/type. lol

I know, not the best photo, they move so fast! They're pretty happy in there, and are kissing all over my other cories who seem just as happy to finally have a real group and more than enough space! I now have eight. =)

Also, can corydoras interbreed with other types of cories? I have two big male emeralds in there, I think the other six are all females. Not sure about the new ones, I see one that might be a boy.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...psce6f8c29.jpg

Thoth 01-01-2013 07:51 AM

Schwartz Cory / Corydoras schwartzi

Short answer ...Yes, Cory can interbreed.

To my knowledge it is not know which can interbreed; short of a few examples. I have worked with interbreeding of some agriculture insects and the amount of effort to scientifically prove if species can interbreed is tremendous. Plus there are thousands of combinations to figure out so there is not a list anywhere. I would use the guide of if the species has a similar pattern or shares the same geographical range then interbreeding may be possible.
This does not mean others can not interbreed, I would just give the above a greater chance.

I would believe that the chance of interbreeding would be low between a Schwartz and an emerald (Brochis).

Olympia 01-01-2013 08:10 AM

Haha I was right. :-)
Yes Thoth is correct, since Brochis, and Corydoras, are two different genus, the chance for them breeding is much lower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sylverclaws 01-01-2013 09:09 AM

Ah, well that's ok. It'd be odd having a mix of two different cories as is. I have boys and girls in both..atleast one of the newbies looks like a boy. Anywho, they're all very, very happy together, so it's fine by me whichever way. ^_^

And yes, you were right, Olympia! =p Nice job, most of the tight spotty ones look a like to me. ^^; It still just doesn't sound right, maybe they were mislabeled. Or maybe I am just nuts! xD Well, in my defence, everyone is a little insane, and I have been pulling 26-34 hour days and sleeping one good night between them for a while now. >_>; But it's nice to know. Maybe I'll name them all after Big O characters...like Swartzvald or however it's spelled...crazy mummy dude. lol

Thanks guys!

Byron 01-02-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1372566)
Yes Thoth is correct, since Brochis, and Corydoras, are two different genus, the chance for them breeding is much lower.

True for different genera, but here we are dealing with something a bit different. Just for interest sake, I will digress and summarize what may be of interest to some.

It has been proposed by more than one ichthyologist that the three genera currently in the Corydoradinae subfamily of the family Callichthyidae need revision, and some has already occurred. Four cory species have been moved by M.R. Britto into a new genus, Scleromystax, and you can read about this in our profile of Scleromystax barbatus, previously Corydoras barbatus. This proposal has been officially accepted by the scientific community.

Britto also proposed the elimination of the genus Brochis in his 2003 paper "Phylogeny of the subfamily Corydoradinae Hoedeman, 1952 (Siluriformes: Callichthyidae), with a definition of its genera," in the Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Ferraris (2007) accepts this, and in his checklist of the catfish of South America gives the three "Brochis" species as Corydoras. The California Academy of Science has not yet followed this, and they are usually the definitive word on current names.

Anyway, what is clearly apparent is the very close relationship between the species in Corydoras and Brochis; according to Britto's findings there are no differences between these species, whatever we may call them, that justifies distinct species differentiation. No one has yet proven this hypothesis inaccurate, so expect name changes at some point.

By the way, Britto has also proposed moving several species out of Corydoras and into Aspidoras, another genus of very near-identical "cory" like catfish.

Byron.

Sylverclaws 01-02-2013 05:14 PM

Well, if I ever catch them breeding, I'll let you know. Especially if I get any kids from it. lol They all shoal together and get kissy and cuddly as is. ^_^