Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Seperating Fish Into Appropriate Size Tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/seperating-fish-into-appropriate-size-tanks-12422/)

enragingchaos 02-29-2008 10:56 AM

Seperating Fish Into Appropriate Size Tanks

So I got into the Aquarium hobby without fully understanding all aspects. I just wanted some fish! :lol:

So yeah...I have a ten gallon tank and I have the following...

2 Blue Paradise Gouramis
3 Gold Pristella Tetras
3 Zebra Danios
2 Neon Tetras
2 Guppies (Adult Male & Female Pair)
2 Bettas (1 Male, 1 Female)

I also have a 1 gallon that I'm trying to get ready so that I can move a fish or two in...

My question is this...

The 1 gallon was purchased from Wal-Mart for $15, you all may know which one it is. It is the Mini Bow kind and has a under gravel filter...which is really just an airstone. But anyway...when the pump puts bubbles into the water and they surfaced the bubbles would be tiny and cause a foam on the top. They would eventually pop but there was always a constant foam. :x

I rinsed out the tank and then tried again...a little bit better but still with some foam. I waited a few days...tried again and rinsed everything out once more and the foam is no more! Now there are big bubbles and they're popping almost instant...but still not as soon as they surface, but not taking the whole top surface up, either. What is causing this? Is this okay? With the bubbles now popping and taking maybe half the surface of the tank is it safe for my fish, now? :?

So what should I move to the 1 gallon? I am thinking about maybe putting the female guppy in there when she goes to have fry? But then if she's not used to the 1 gallon it may put some stress on her. So should I maybe put the male and female in the 1 gallon and when she's about to have her fry take the male out and possibly put him in with a 5 gallon I might be purchasing for my 2 Gouramis?

With my fish, what would you all suggest in tank sizes? I'm thinking a 5 gallon would probably be perfect for my 2 Gouramis. What are your all's opinions?

Thanks So Much!!! :D

- Enraging Chaos -

herefishy 02-29-2008 11:21 AM

I don't know about where you live, but 10g tanks are just as inexpensive to buy as 5g tanks. If possible, I would use the 10g. Paradise fish, you probably have two males, will become somewhat aggressive toward each other establishing the dominant male. The betta will get its fins nipped. The guppies need, probably, two more females to keep the male occupied. And the dither fish, danios and tetras, need a larger tank that a 10g.

Looking at your current list of fish, I would say that you need at least three more tanks , all in the 29g size range. Or change your stocking scheme. Bad news, huh?

enragingchaos 02-29-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
If possible, I would use the 10g. Paradise fish, you probably have two males, will become somewhat aggressive toward each other establishing the dominant male.

The guppies need, probably, two more females to keep the male occupied. And the dither fish, danios and tetras, need a larger tank that a 10g.

Looking at your current list of fish, I would say that you need at least three more tanks , all in the 29g size range. Or change your stocking scheme. Bad news, huh?

The 2 Gouramis are male and female, they've been doing their mating dance quite often. If you go to YouTube and search "enragingchaos" I actually have a video of it.

But yeah, there are 10 gallones here for $10. But don't I NEED a hood? Hoods here are $20 and I think $30 with a light.

I'm currently in housing at my college...so I'm limited to only have 10 gallon tanks and no more...

So If I get another 10 Gallon...what would be good to transition over?

Are my only options 3 more 29G? :lol:

On another note, it's strange...but my Betta doesn't bother the other fish and my other fish don't bother the Betta other than a little bit of flaring at the two Gouramis every once in awhile..

fish_4_all 02-29-2008 11:53 AM

Bettas have their own personalities. Never know how they will get along with everything else.

If you are not growing plants then you don't need a fancy hood, simply a glass one. They are about $12 here for a 10 gallon but the LFS prices are
all high here too. Don't even need a light per say but leaving the room lights on for 10-12 hours would benefit the fish, IMHO.

herefishy 02-29-2008 12:06 PM

The paradise fish look like (2)males. Too colorful to be a female. not a mating dance, but a dance to establish dominance. The courtship dance, the male would be carressing the female in betta/gourami fashion. I see no "hugging" there. lol

You should be able to get a glass canopy and light for around $25. Even a used light would work, cheaper that way. I cannot even begin to tell you how much used equipment I have. All of my BIG tanks are used and most of the tanks in the fishroom are used. Too expensive to buy new stuff all of the time. There is nothing wrong with buying good used equipment and being budget minded.

enragingchaos 02-29-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
If you are not growing plants then you don't need a fancy hood, simply a glass one. They are about $12 here for a 10 gallon but the LFS prices are all high here too. Don't even need a light per say but leaving the room lights on for 10-12 hours would benefit the fish, IMHO.

Sounds good!

Quote:

The paradise fish look like (2)males. Too colorful to be a female. not a mating dance, but a dance to establish dominance. The courtship dance, the male would be carressing the female in betta/gourami fashion. I see no "hugging" there. lol

One is plain blue and the other has vertical red stripes. This doesn't make a difference? You think they're colorful? I've only had them a week or so...I thought they would get a little more colorful once they started getting healthier from the pet store.

Quote:

You should be able to get a glass canopy and light for around $25. Even a used light would work, cheaper that way. I cannot even begin to tell you how much used equipment I have. All of my BIG tanks are used and most of the tanks in the fishroom are used. Too expensive to buy new stuff all of the time. There is nothing wrong with buying good used equipment and being budget minded.

So I can get the whole thing for $35? If I buy a plastic lid and a light here I think it is $20 plus the $10 for the tank which makes it $30 total. I'll have to see. I am currently at work and I work at a Best Buy located right next to a PetSmart...so yeah.

One thing that I never managed to get on my video was the two locking lips for a few seconds. Is that part of the dominance thing? They will lock lips and are literally LOCKED together but never long enough for me to catch on video.

Thanks So Much for the help thus far! I really appreciate it, everybody!

enragingchaos 02-29-2008 04:11 PM

Another thing, just got home from work and my 1 gallon tank is foamy again at the surface. What is causing this and what can I do to stop it? I tried water conditioner and it still doesn't help...

But it was doing fine yesterday...today is a different story and back to being foamy!

Lupin 02-29-2008 07:26 PM

I find paradise gouramis bad news to me. These are horribly aggressive when you least expect it.