Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Please help! Emergency! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-help-emergency-124210/)

cjz96 12-31-2012 01:34 PM

Please help! Emergency!

My new community tank has an outbreak of acute Columnaris. Fish are dying within 24 hours. I have tetras, corydoras, danios, harlequins rasboras, and kuhli loaches. How can I properly treat them all? The tank is heavily planted, is there any medicine safe for a planted tank?

charlie1881 12-31-2012 02:21 PM

Hey ,
Sory to hear about your problem it can be very bad and is also bad about coming back . :-( .
I dont know about the affect on live plants but you can use Kanamycin ( kanaplex )
& Furan 2 . to treat it.
I hope this helps . Sory I dont know more

cjz96 12-31-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1881 (Post 1371173)
Hey ,
Sory to hear about your problem it can be very bad and is also bad about coming back . :-( .
I dont know about the affect on live plants but you can use Kanamycin ( kanaplex )
& Furan 2 . to treat it.
I hope this helps . Sory I dont know more

Thanks. I will pick both up asap. I also have oto cats. forgot to mention. Will the meds be okay for all of the fish above?

fish monger 12-31-2012 04:10 PM

Sometime you have to cut the dosage in half for scaleless fish. The package should give you instructions about that and the effect on plants.

cjz96 12-31-2012 06:05 PM

My LFS does not carry either. What else can I use?

charlie1881 12-31-2012 11:35 PM

The other I found is Maracyn and maracyn 2 . I'm not familiar with either meds so I cant tell you anything about them sorry .
You might check online to see about ordering the kanamycin , furan 2 or maracyn if the lfs doesnt carry it either . But you will need to do it ASAP as this is a very lethal problem you have as Im sure you know .
I cant tell you how sory I am that its happening to you and your fishes , .:cry: I will keep looking for you and try to find more info and diffrent meds for you .
Let me know if you can get this one okay ..
If not we'll try something else but we wont give up ;-)

redchigh 01-01-2013 01:43 PM

I use this site:
Columnaris (Flexibacteria) in Aquarium Fish; Fungus, Saprolegnia; Treatment, Prevention

Shewbert 01-01-2013 05:26 PM

a lot of freshwater fish diseases can be helped or prevented by adding aquarium salt to the tank. I think it is best to try adding salt and turning up the temperature for a lot of conditions before resorting to the stronger fish medications. Salt helps to prevent bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections. You can buy aquarium salt specifically made for freshwater fish, or you can buy uniodized salt at the grocery store. Don't use salt with iodine in it (iodized salt)!! It will kill your fish. I usually use about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water. Keep in mind that if you have a 10 gallon tank that your rocks, heater, and other items in your tank take up some space and so you may not actually have 10 gallons of water. Also, salt doesn't evaporate and so when you replace water in your tank don't add more salt to it. You can, however, add more salt when making water changes (as long as it doesn't exceed the recommended salt level). Keep in mind that some fish don't tolerate extra salt as well as others (such as Bettas).

Chemical treatment best for severe Columnaris is Maracyn and Maracyn-Two used simultaneously,
Hope this helps
Ray