Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy tail splitting? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-tail-splitting-124208/)

DragonFyre14 12-31-2012 01:28 PM

Guppy tail splitting?

So, I recently went on a 3 day trip with my family to visit my grandparents for Christmas. In the mean time I asked my friend to come over and feed my fish. (I was kind of worried as she doesn't know much about fish.) I showed her exactly how I feed them and just hoped everything would turn out fine. (I mean a little over feeding or underfeeding for 3 days couldn't hurt too much right?)

Anyway, came home and all my fish were fine (if not a little hungry and Raphael was mad that I hadn't been there to turn his light on at all...) Except for my guppies. They are still swimming around happily and appear healthy except for their tails. One of my males tail looks almost as if someone had been chewing on the end. just some minor damage. One of my other males (lyretail) had the same thing as well as having a clean split down his tail that hadn't originally been there. One of my females also has this mysterious split. It looks almost as if someone just took a pair of scissors and cut their tails. The cut is clean and doesn't seem to be bothering them at all.

My question is, is this something to be worried about? I think I remember hearing of some disease where the tails would split apart like this. I guess either way how should I go about helping them heal? Should I place them in a hospital tank and heavily dose the hospital tank with AQ salt and stress coat?

On a side note, a day before I left, I had purchased a dwarf gourami and added him into the tank (no quarantine, bad I know.) I don't think he could have anything to do with it as he seems very timid and tends to avoid the guppies.

Thanks for your help :)

charlie1881 01-01-2013 01:34 PM

Hey Dragon ,
Sory to hear about your fishes . Do you think that the dwarf may have brought a case of finrot to its new home ?. The tail fin sounds like it , And if all your guppys have signs of it wouldnt it be better to just add some api aquarium ssalt to the community tank directly that way youd treat everyone ( host included ) .
I usually treat my community tank with the aquarium salt ( API ) whenever I add new fishes , Well before I had a hospitol tank I did . And I still do if I see signs of certain disease such as finrot, ich and velvet .
Hope this helps my friend .

DragonFyre14 01-01-2013 04:47 PM

It doesn't look consistent with what I've heard of fin rot but I guess it's possible. Actually really only two of the guppies are affected so the majority are perfectly fine. The dwarf gourami looks perfectly healthy (I know, looks can be deceiving) but if he had brought fin rot wouldn't he have some signs of it? I did add a bit of salt but, since I have a Bristlenose Pleco, I don't want to add to much too fast. I've been keeping an eye out and thankfully it doesn't seem to have spread or gotten worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

charlie1881 01-01-2013 08:28 PM

Hey agin ,
I have a bristlenose as well , and the ''API'' aquarium salt doesnt seem to hurt him /her , mine is developing very well . I dont know about other brands but this one is okay . I add about 1/2 a teasp at every water change . I change 1/4 of the water every week .
I read or heard somewhere that dwarfs are prone to carry diseases . Not sure if its true or not so dont hold to that , I cant even remember where I read it :-? sory .
As for the fins , it maybe that they just had a little fight . You said that it was 2 that had the majority of damage right ?,
I'd just do as you have : add a touch of API aquarium salt to aid in healing and fight off any possible infection and see what happens .
If it doesnt clear up in a week then start looking at maybe some form of medication , by then you'll be sure if its finrot or not . ;-) Good job Dfry .
God bless

DragonFyre14 01-01-2013 09:01 PM

Thanks :) I added a touch more aquarium salt (it is API. I have heard though that as long as it is added slowly, plecos can adjust to the salt without much harm. There was even one guy who had one or two living in his salt water tank for a year or two! O.O) maybe they did get in a fight. I have a couple pictures that I'll try and post later.

I have heard that the dwarfs can carry something that I believe is called dwarf gourami indovirus and it is contagious but I don't know the symptoms or how common it is or anything. However, seeing as I haven't seen any further deterioration of the fins and no discoloration yet, I'm just going to do a water change tomorrow and add some more AQ salt. I do have some Pimafix I could use if I needed to, but seeing as it could damage the gouramis labrynth organ, I'm going to wait and try not to use it unless I need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

DragonFyre14 01-02-2013 07:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got some pictures! the split is most noticeable on the lyretail male, the blue female has a split in her tail as well its just harder to see.
Attachment 72551

Attachment 72552

Attachment 72553

charlie1881 01-03-2013 03:44 AM

Hey Dragon,

I would'nt do anything diffrent , I dont think its rot . I see this alot in my guppys a split ever now and agin it heals fine in a day or two with the salt . But the salt is always present in my guppys tank to though . I think its just the big flowing tails as active as they are and the way they breed soo often that the tail fins just get abused sometime being so thin and flowing like that , but thats just a guess I have no idea why or what happens I just know it does happen pretty often with them in particular . So if anything keep your salt treatment keep it minimul and keep the meds away from the tank they are not needed as of yet ;-)
On another note WOW those are very awsome fishes dragon they are way nice the lyri is beauty :-D wanna trade ???????????lol j/k

DragonFyre14 01-03-2013 06:32 AM

Haha well good to know its nothing serious :)
Posted via Mobile Device