Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Getting Worst!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/getting-worst-124195/)

JRitter23 12-31-2012 12:00 PM

Getting Worst!!!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello I post the thread "Sick Angels". I placed the 3 angels in a hospital tank and started to treat for a bacterial infection. I am using Triple Sulfa by API. At first I thought my angels were doing better. Now I noticed my colbalt blue angel is not doing well at all. He/she is laying on the bottom of the tank. His fins are splitting apart. Now my black marble angel's fins are starting to show signs of this. I have been following the instructions for the medicine. The yellow marble is improving, all the red lines on him/her are gone and him/her fins are starting to spread out again. Here are some pictures.Attachment 72339

Attachment 72340

JRitter23 12-31-2012 12:01 PM

If you look at the black angel you will see his/her anal fin starting to split. Any information would be useful. I do not want to let these guys die. thanks

cpwebsite 12-31-2012 12:32 PM

When you started treating them with triple sulfa what did you think the problem was?

When the fins are splitting do you see any red areas on the fins or fuzzy ends. That could be fin rot.

JRitter23 12-31-2012 12:43 PM

Today is the third day of treatment. I noticed some red lines and spots on the yellow angels. I thought at first the it was Hemorrhagic Septicemia, but now I am leaning towards fin rot.

cpwebsite 12-31-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRitter23 (Post 1370922)
Today is the third day of treatment. I noticed some red lines and spots on the yellow angels. I thought at first the it was Hemorrhagic Septicemia, but now I am leaning towards fin rot.

Can you locate the source of the problem. Did you add new unquarantined fish or something. Problems like that generally don't just pop up, so if you added a new fish assuming it was a reputable LFS, see if you can go back and ask what diseases they've had in their angelfish tank so you know which one.

Hemorrhagic Septicemia is more rare than fin rot from my experience however both are severe debilitating diseases. I recommend treating for both however make sure the medications you put are compatable together.

charlie1881 12-31-2012 01:34 PM

Hey JR,
I noticed you said you put the sick in a hospitol tank , thats good . But I didnt see anything about ''aquarium salt'' .? You need to add a tablespoon for every 5 gal of water in your hospitol tank as well as medicating the fishes this will help fight the bacteria and help the healing process .
Also you need to remove activated carbon from the filter during the medication period .
And dont forget to do water changes everyday , thats the most important thing .;-)
Oh and if you can find it you can spot treat the rot with gentian violet with your proprietary medication you are useing already . ( proprietary is a treatment that is labled for one particular disease , such as fin rot ) .
Hope this helps .
God bless

JRitter23 12-31-2012 02:07 PM

Yes I did put a fish in the tank that was not quarantined. It was the blue colbalt angel. I am doing all of the above already. I added salt, removed the carbon, daily water changes. I am using the triple sulfa atm and I just bought Melafix. Are these compatable?

jeaninel 12-31-2012 02:45 PM

I would be very careful mixing these treatments. I believe Triple Sulfa already contains salt (sodium) so I would not add more salt especially with a soft water fish such as angelfish. I don't think Melafix would be strong enough to add any benefit so I would skip that also. If it were me I would only use the Triple Sulfa with frequent water changes to keep the water clean and I would keep the QT light off to reduce stress to the fish. Good luck and I hope your angelfish gets better.

charlie1881 12-31-2012 02:56 PM

You can look on the label of most meds an get a address www.apifishcare.com i think this is it...:-? not sure though . And they will usually be able to find out what meds are compatable . You can go to www.marsfishcare.com and use the question and answer for most api products , aquarium salt an so on . If you still cant find out if its compatable let me know I'll find out for you , or I'll try to anyway lol it can be hard when you use two diffrent meds made by diffrent companies . In the future its always a good idea to use the same manufacturer if at all possible when purchaseing meds for this reason ;-) . It sounds like your doin everything right , all you can . They should be doing better in no time , just remember water change water when they are sick like this its a must . let me know how it goes .

JRitter23 12-31-2012 03:56 PM

Thanks for the information!! I will keep you posted on what the outcome is. Thanks again.