Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How's the best way to move my aquariums? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hows-best-way-move-my-aquariums-124113/)

Chris7 12-30-2012 04:41 PM

How's the best way to move my aquariums?

Sadly my wife lost her battle with cystic fibrosis, and passed away on the 23rd :cry:. Well now I have to move out of this apartment and move in with my parents. I have 4 tanks 35,25 and 2 10g tanks, that are fully planted. Hows the best way to move them without killing the tanks and now hurting the fish and plants? thank you for any help.....

Nilet699 12-30-2012 05:14 PM

Hi Chris, first off can i just say I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

As for for the issue of your fish, I've never actually done this before but if I was in your shoes, with four tanks, you have 2 choices in my mind. Either drop all the fish in the 35.... move the rest over and set them up asap and then transport all your fish over.
Or I would I would most likely buy another 10 gal, move one set of fish over, take and set their tank, move fish, and then just repeat this, as I'd imagine putting them all in one would provide some severe compatibility issues normally.

As for the moving, I read the best way is in the dark. So a large bucket, lid on, and then just as stably yet quickly as possible.
Normally people don't feed their fish for a day or 2 before either to try and stop the fish excessively fouling due to the stress of the move.

As per I'd say take my advise with a pinch of salt as I'm very new to this and haven't actually had to go through a move yet.

Nile

Byron 12-30-2012 06:24 PM

Dear Chris, my sincere condolences on your sad loss. May you be strengthened by the thoughts and prayers of your family and friends, and those of us here at TFK.

If you are able to move the tanks at one go, without other interruptions (like moving furniture, etc) this is not difficult to manage. You can use the plastic fish bags to bag the fish (be careful what you put together), or covered pails; if you have a local fish store they may lend you some pails or fish crates (Styrofoam to prevent chilling). Fill whichever with water from the tank [doing a partial water change of half the tank the day immediately prior is a good idea] and net in the fish. Keep the container(s) warm; a chill esp in mid winter in Manitoba will likely kill the fish. Then drain the tanks. The plants can go in a separate pail with sufficient water to cover them.

The 10g can be moved with the substrate and decor (but no water), if they are placed on a solid "tray" such as a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. This will prevent any bending. The larger tanks I would remove all substrate and decor from, as the weight shift might well break the glass or the frame seal.

Byron.

Mikaila31 12-30-2012 07:41 PM

I've moved lots of planted tanks, last i did was 4 tanks in august a 55, 20, 15, and 5. What I do is bag all the fish. Start pulling up and bagging plants and the filter media. Place all bags in a cooler with a towel. Then drain the tanks and do a gravel cleaning, it will be very messy having been a planted tank. Then remove most the gravel and place it in a bucket. Drain all water. Then move the tanks. Setup is simply reverse. I've never bothered with moving water, simply use 100% water at the new location and acclimate the fish slowly as if they were new.