Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is this worth a 100 bucks? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/worth-100-bucks-12409/)

BillyVille 02-28-2008 10:32 PM

Is this worth a 100 bucks?

have a 55 gallon fish tank with stand. The fish tank is in storage and needs a good cleaning, but in good shape. The stand is in my bathroom and is in excellent shape. Its black in color, with two doors that open for storage on the bottom. Heavy in weight. The tank has two hoods for the top. I dont know if the bulbs still work or not, its been awhile since they have been used. The heater didnt work well when i bought it. I should have taken it back but didnt. I wouldnt use it. However, you can buy them at Wal-mart. I will throw in some accessories that i have if you want them. There are several decorations and some rock. My husband gave over $300 for this tank and stand. Its just to big for me to take care of. I would love for someone to get some use out of it. Its beautiful set up!!!

Its really dirty and needs cleaned and needs new light bulbs. How much are replacement bulbs?

I got her down to 100 bucks is it worth it?

lastone 02-28-2008 10:45 PM

100 is nota bad deal for all that is included

fish_4_all 02-28-2008 11:07 PM

Well for a brand new 55 gallon with stand and hood here it is $375. Half would be about $187.

If I saw the tank and knew it owuld hold water, to me it would be worth it.

New bulbs cost about $6 at Walmart depending on their length and type.

BillyVille 02-28-2008 11:11 PM

i was told a new bulb costs 50 bucks :shock:

fish_4_all 02-28-2008 11:31 PM

http://www.ahsupply.com/bulbs.htm

That is for Power compact flourescent bulbs, almost top of the line. Unless she has metal halide and a good one at that I doubt they will be more than $15 each at the very max.

BillyVille 02-29-2008 01:00 AM

now i just got to decide what to put in it? i would like to make it a salt water tank, but it cost alot to start up i heard... i would maybe like discus but i dont think they will fit

Cody 02-29-2008 07:00 PM

If you want to stay under a lot of money, don't get saltwater or Discus. The SW is very expensive when you first start-up. I plan on spending 200-250 dollars on my 10G SW tank for the "chemicals" (salt, testing kit, etc), RO filter, light fixture, powerhead, and others I can't think of. My light fixture is going to be $75 for a 96 watt fixture.

The discus will be expensive too. A lot of nessicary equimpent wil need to be bought, not to mention QT tanks, medication and the discus itself. A discus can be very expensive, and isn't exactly for a new aqurariust. They are very fragile for the first few weeks, but after that they can be very hardy fish.

herefishy 03-01-2008 06:22 AM

How many discus do you have Cody? The biggest part of keeping discus is clean water and higher temps, 84-86 degrees F. I would think one would need a quarantine tank and meds no matter what fish you kept. I have around 50 adult discus right now and have made no other adjustments to my tanks other than keeping the temps higher. There are some in my blackwater tanks also. But, that is because I am: a) conducting a low intensity experiment, and b) I thought that they would be nice in that tank.

It is true that discus prefer softer water, but most of mine are in water with a pH of 6.8-7.0. Pretty flat or near neutral.

Lupin 03-01-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
The discus will be expensive too. A lot of nessicary equimpent wil need to be bought, not to mention QT tanks, medication and the discus itself. A discus can be very expensive, and isn't exactly for a new aqurariust. They are very fragile for the first few weeks, but after that they can be very hardy fish.

Which necessary equipments were being referred to? What about the medicines?

Cody 03-01-2008 09:47 AM

Ah, I guess I was being pretty stupid there. Don't know too much about Discus. :?

I meant like tihngs to fight off diseases for their first 1-3 weeks when they are getting "stabelized".

And all the Discus around here are expensive...like $50 each. Not sure if that is a normal price, or they are very good and heathly discuc.