Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Eheim Filter Horror Story (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/eheim-filter-horror-story-124085/)

Kaddock 12-30-2012 01:22 PM

Eheim Filter Horror Story

Hi There,

I just got a brand new Eheim 2213 + for the holiday and was very excited to get it set up and cycled. Everything was very straight forward and I only ran into an issue when it came time for it to operate... I had some issues with priming but spent about an hour reading every Eheim 2213 forum post and article I could find. I am nearly positive I am doing everything right here.

I made sure the canister and exit hose were empty, opened all the valves and sucked on the exit end. The water comes freely into the canister at first (I tried this with the media in an out for visibility). However, the water will only fill to about a third of the capacity and then stop! If I drop the exit hose below water level or even below the canister level it begins flowing again but it will not fill the canister further.

It's almost like the pressure is restricting the flow! This thing seriously needs some one-way flow valves... I tried filling the canister up all of the way and making sure there were no air bubbles in the intake hose then turning it on. Nothing. Sometimes when I suck after the pressure has built, I can't even get any draw because the vacuum is so tight. The pressure also reverses sometimes and all of the air in the exit hose will shoot through the filter and up through the intake house!!! What the heck?!

I took the pump head and intake hose to a sink and let water flow out of the bottom of the pump through the hose. All looked fine. When I plug the pump in it actually stops the water flow though... Like a buildup of pressure that literally shoot the water back out the intake, just like in the aquarium. I am sooo frustrated at this point. The impeller has a strong magnetism, makes very little noise, has an unbroken and tightly fitted ceramic shaft and seems to spin normally.

Finally (around three in the morning) I had enough. I would be happy just to make this thing a flower vase at this point. I'm not impressed. :evil:

JDM 12-30-2012 04:06 PM

I bought a Marineland C220 and set it up the other day. I looked briefly at the Eheim units but my gut said to go with the Marineland unit... I listen to my gut a lot.

I didn't time it but it was somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes from box opening to plugging it in. The only hitch was that when the tubing warmed up over night the "in" inlet coupling needed snugging to stop a VERY slow leak.

While I have zero aquarium experience I think that this is probably among the easiest to setup and if your new "flower pot" needs replacing.... just a thought.

Meanwhile.... from my vast experience (NOT!) the first thing that came to mind is that the canister may not be below the tank altogether. That was one thing that is pointed out in the C220 manual.

You mention needing one way valves... does it not have a primer pump on the unit? If so this would mean that you could hook everything up first, both directions, prime and start.

Maybe this wasn't helpful but I feel your frustration.

Good luck what ever you end up doing.

Jeff.

Kaddock 01-01-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1369429)
I bought a Marineland C220 and set it up the other day. I looked briefly at the Eheim units but my gut said to go with the Marineland unit... I listen to my gut a lot.

I didn't time it but it was somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes from box opening to plugging it in. The only hitch was that when the tubing warmed up over night the "in" inlet coupling needed snugging to stop a VERY slow leak.

While I have zero aquarium experience I think that this is probably among the easiest to setup and if your new "flower pot" needs replacing.... just a thought.

Meanwhile.... from my vast experience (NOT!) the first thing that came to mind is that the canister may not be below the tank altogether. That was one thing that is pointed out in the C220 manual.

You mention needing one way valves... does it not have a primer pump on the unit? If so this would mean that you could hook everything up first, both directions, prime and start.

Maybe this wasn't helpful but I feel your frustration.

Good luck what ever you end up doing.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

Well I'm glad yours turned out! I've been wanting this filter for a year now and am pretty put off by the issues... Eheim classic is tried and true from what I've always heard and with an $80 price tag I'm certainly hoping this is a fixable issue. The filter was a gift from Amazon, so I'm not sure it would be easy to return it.

The most frustrating this is that the the filter has one mechanical device and it seems to be working exactly the opposite of how it's supposed to. I've grilled my brain trying to think of a solution. Everything seems to be working!!!

The canister is about a foot below the tank so I don't think that's the issue... I wish! That's definitely the kind of feedback I'm looking for - things that I may have overlooked in my frustration. I have on/off valves but there is no priming bulb or anything like that. I was thinking one-way valves in addition to the on off valves would be nice, since then the canister couldn't backfire due to pressure flux (like a heart valve).

I really want to try it again, but I'm afraid I'll just waste my time. I'm not sure what could change after my initial three hour tour.

twocents 01-01-2013 06:02 PM

maybe need to be further down, lower? I had a Rena filter that had that issue

JDM 01-02-2013 08:29 AM

Seeing as the filter is just basically a pump, do some playing with a pail on a table and see what you can do.

Drain everything dry, remove all the media, connect the hoses as spec'd and put them into the pail with the filter on the floor. I'm going to assume that the instructions say to get the water flowing you've got suck on the output hose (from the top of the unit). It should start flowing pretty quickly as the water will start siphoning once it gets lower than the bottom of the pail (or shortly thereafter) assuming that there is no other water in the system and no check valves in place.

In theory, the water level in the out hose should come close to the level of the water in the pail. If you have another pail to use, set it on the floor and put the output into it to see if it flows freely. Without the filter media in place I think that it should.

Only after you've filled both hoses and the canister with water to ensure that there is no air trapped anywhere in the system, (a bit in the out hose is not an issue at this point) put both hoses into the pail on the table, plug it in and see what happens. It should flow from the pail, into the bottom of the filter canister, out the top and back to the pail.

If it flows backwards now, something is wrong the with filter pump.

Jeff.

Boredomb 01-02-2013 12:15 PM

Kaddock I have a Eheim 2213 canister I absolutely love it. However priming it is a pain in the butt until you figure out how to do it. Then its not to bad.

Here's how I do it and its the simplest way I have found that works. You have to have the filter hooked up. Have all the hoses and the spray bar where you want it in the tank. Have the canister where you want it. So everything is were you want it.

Once where think is hooked up close the one way valve on the intake line. Take the hose off where it meants the hard plastic that bends to go into the tank. Fill it up with water. Put the hose back on the hard plastic. Take the hose off of the hard plastic that goes to the spray bar put it in a bucket or whatever you have that will hold about 2+ gallons of water. It has to be lower then the intake. I normally sit mine in the floor as my hoses are long enough.

From there open the one way valve on the intake. A siphon should start and water should be coming out of the hose. Note if the canister itself is empty it will take a min to fill it up and then come out the hose.
Once you get water coming out you need to shack the canister to make sure ALL the air is out of it. This is important as if there is air in it. It might not pump when you hook it up or it wont be quiet if it does.

Once you fill like the air is out and it is flowing good. You can plug the canister up and see if it is still flowing good. If not then its probably got air in it still. Just unplug and shake the canister some more. You don't wanna shake it while its running btw. Then plug back in and see how it flows.

Once you feel like its working good unplug and put your finger over the hose and hook it back up to the hard plastic. Once everything is hooked up plug the canister in. It might spit out some air but that will just want lil will be in the spraybar and the hose from where you picked it up.

I know that sounds some what confusing but its the only way I found that works.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nilet699 01-02-2013 01:37 PM

That seems like a ridiculous amount of work, no?

I have owned 1 canister in my entire fish life- of 5 weeks lol - and its an aqua one aquis 750 series 2, should you wish to look- quite simply to prime mine, there is a nice little nob that i have to push on - requires a lil bit of elbow - after several pumps its flowing and on its way.

SURELY this cant be how the 'best of the lot' as a lot of people say filter works? I am in no way doubting your methods or there effectiveness Boredomb, but surely, this is a little silly?
Do you have to do this everytime you clean out your sponge etc?

How has this not been addressed by eheim? Or has it in newer models etc? I'm confused how this ever got a good rep if this is what is required constantly. :shock:

Boredomb 01-02-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1374567)

I have owned 1 canister in my entire fish life- of 5 weeks lol - and its an aqua one aquis 750 series 2, should you wish to look- quite simply to prime mine, there is a nice little nob that i have to push on - requires a lil bit of elbow - after several pumps its flowing and on its way.

SURELY this cant be how the 'best of the lot' as a lot of people say filter works? I am in no way doubting your methods or there effectiveness Boredomb, but surely, this is a little silly?

How has this not been addressed by eheim? Or has it in newer models etc? I'm confused how this ever got a good rep if this is what is required constantly. :shock:

Not going to argue that point but it works. Its also the way I have seen others do it.

The Ecco Pros models and the models above that (forgot the series name now) all have priming function. The Classic series do not that I know of. If y'all know of a better way of doing it Please let me know. Btw the whole process only takes like 5 mins its not as bad as it seem. It might be the first couple of times but after it really isn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 01-02-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1374567)

Any time I take about the canister I have to do that yes.

Boredomb 01-02-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1374732)
Any time I take about the canister I have to do that yes.

Stupid 20 min rule. That was suppose to say Anytime I take apart the canister.
Posted via Mobile Device