Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   new cichlid tank is foggy, Help!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-cichlid-tank-foggy-help-124071/)

ashleyjoy1989 12-30-2012 09:09 AM

new cichlid tank is foggy, Help!!

hey all,

i got a new tank for christmas and decided to make it a cichlid tank, as i already have a tropical community, and a crayfish tank. well we set it up and let it do its 24 hour filtering before i tested it. the pH was high because it hadn't been treated yet. so i treated it waited a few more hours to take a water sample to the store. they told me my water was fine, so we bought our fish. we only got 4 so we wouldn't overload ourselves, the tank or the new fish. last night i was watching tv and noticed the tank seemed a little bit cloudy, but assumed it was because we haven't put the background on yet and its against a white wall. this morning i woke up and the tank is much more foggy than it was last night. is this because its a new tank and has to work itself out? i dont remember it happening to my tropical tank but then again i put the background on as soon as i set it up. i don't want to treat it anymore because i don't want to stress the fish anymore yet. any ideas? knock on wood no one has died, so i want to kick it in the butt before they do...cichlids are expensive!!!
thanks in advance

RedRaider15 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

What type of cichlids do you have, and how large is the tank. This could possibly be a bacteria bloom, or not I just need a little more information. What type of substrate do you have?

Fresh salt 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

From what I understand this is a new tank that has not properly cycled. If this is the case the cloudiness you are seeing is the tank going through the cycling process.

RedRaider15 12-30-2012 11:06 AM

When I first started with Cichlids I had no idea how to cycle. This same thing happened to me, but it went away in a few days. Could you possibly post a picture.

Byron 12-30-2012 01:13 PM

I agree it is most likely either related to cycling, or the substrate, or a bacterial bloom. All can occur in new tanks.

I am also concerned over the "treatment" mentioned, can you explain what this refers to?

Byron.

ashleyjoy1989 12-31-2012 12:39 PM

i'm thinking it must have been cycling like you guys have mentioned as it seems to have almost gone away.
as for the treatments i mentioned, my pH was WAYY to high so i put a pH balancer in which got it down to normal, and a water conditioner to level everything out. both always seem to work and never have that effect on my tropical tank.
its a 20 gallon tank, with just the aquarium gravel on the bottom.
we have 1 bumblebee, 1 kenyi, 1 jewel, and 1 electric yellow.

buzz4520 12-31-2012 02:01 PM

20 gallon isn't big enough for african mbunas: 1) not enough room to claim their own territory 2) not enough water to support their bio-load 3) all the fish you've got listed will get 4-6 inches easy, i had a bumblebee that got to 7 inch (in a 55g) before he died.
the electric yellow is the least aggressive fish in your list and will most likely be the one to get picked on so keep a close watch on that. i'm not trying to be negitive about your set up, just trying to save you some heartaches down the road.