Tropical Fish Keeping banner

What fish are compatible with Zebra Loaches?

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  I3raven 
#1 ·
I am planning to get 3 Zebra Loaches for my aquarium, but I have heard they can get aggressive and sometimes were known to nip fins. Is this true? Some owners claim they are completely peaceful and compatible with most fish. If not, what fish can coexist with Zebra Loaches? I was thinking of getting 5 Neon Tetras.

Another question, where can you get Zebra Loaches? I tried searching on Google, but I only found 2 sources from private owned businesses. However, the shipping was $30-$40, something I can't afford. My local fish stores include Petco, Petsmart, and Petland. Do any of these stores hold Zebra Loaches?

#2 ·
I live in Canada, and I know that I rarely see this loach, Botia striata [click the shaded name for our profile]. It appeared this past summer, and I picked up five which was all the store had. And by the way, three is not sufficient, you should have 5 or 6. This species, like all the loaches, is highly social and in smaller numbers the fin nipping can be quite a problem.

Within my five, I have one male that is a bit feisty, but so far peaceful. Providing a decent group, and in sufficient environment, can usually keep such fish safe for others. They need lots of wood with tunnels and crevices, as they each like to choose their own "home" space, and they love playing "tag" through the tunnels.:)

For upper fish, I wold go with more active species. Neons are quite docile. Some of the small to medium sized barbs and danios work well; several are in our profiles with photos. Of the characins (tetra), those that are more active can work.

Byron.

#3 ·
Where can you get these fish?

Alright, I will try to find and get 4 Zebra Loaches at the least, but has anyone seen them sold at their pet store? I cannot get them from the internet. As for tankmates, does anyone recommend anything? I'm trying to find a middle-top level fish that will be able to be fed from the waters surface.

#4 ·
Alright, I will try to find and get 4 Zebra Loaches at the least, but has anyone seen them sold at their pet store? I cannot get them from the internet. As for tankmates, does anyone recommend anything? I'm trying to find a middle-top level fish that will be able to be fed from the waters surface.
Why can't you get them from the internet? Because of shipping cost? I understand that. http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/sharks_eels_loaches/loaches_for_sale.htm#top2 has them for $6, but yes, their shipping is $30. I just placed my 3rd order with them, and if you order $139, the shipping is free.

#6 ·
I asked a fish store we have in a nearby city about these once, and they said there were several varieties of fish that people referred to as Zebra loaches. Maybe call around and ask a broad question, i.e., what loaches do you have, you'll get more helpful answers? Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.