Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sick Angels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-angels-123837/)

JRitter23 12-28-2012 12:04 PM

Sick Angels

hello everyone my name is jeff and i have some angel's that i believe are sick. Symptoms
include red lines at there dorsal and anal fins, red spots on there dorsal fin, the 3 angels that have these symptoms are isolating them selves from the community. Ammonia was high last night i went out and bought some ammonia absorb and did a 20% water change. PH =7.4 Ammonia was at .25 ppm now it is at 0 ppm. Nitrite are at 0 ppm. Nitrate are at 20 ppm. thanks

JRitter23 12-28-2012 12:07 PM

Also my tank is a 75 gallon. rena filstar xp2.

JRitter23 12-28-2012 02:51 PM

Also in the the tank are 5 angels (2 leopard, 1 colbalt blue, 2 marbel). 5 hatchets, 4 albino corys, and a royal farrowella.

Heater = Aquaclear 50
Filter = Rena Filstar XP2
Food = Flake and pellets for the corys waffers for the farrowella

Water Chemicals: API Master Test Kit
PH = 7.4
NH3/NH4+ = 0
NO2- = 0
NO3- = 20 ppm

Tank Dimensions = 48x18x24 (75gallon)

I don't have a timer for the lights atm. I turn them on around 5:00 and off at 20:30.

Thanks for the help!

Romad 12-28-2012 04:19 PM

Has ammonia been an ongoing problem or is this a new tank? I've never heard of spots as a sign of ammonia poisoning but I could be wrong here. Usually you will see signs of gasping and perhaps red gills with ammonia poisoning.

Answer as many of the following questions as you can so we have as much info. as possible to try to figure out what is going on in your tank.

One last thing, you're better off doing larger water changes rather than adding chemicals to your tank to bring ammonia levels to zero. A good water conditioner like Seachem Prime will help detoxify for approx. 24 hours while you're cycling or getting to the bottome of your problem with fish in the tank.

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...#ixzz2GO5QAdZT

Inga 12-28-2012 04:37 PM

Did I read that right? The lights are on for 15 1/2 hours a day? That is a lot, maybe too much but I doubt that is the cause of your sick fish.

Others here will know more about disease but I would start with increasing the amount of water change and do it frequently. Clean water will not hurt unless there is an issue with your source water which would be good to first check.

Do you have live plants in the tank for your Angels? Floating plants for them to hide under?

JRitter23 12-28-2012 05:33 PM

1. Size of tank = 48 x 18 x 24/ 75 gallon

2. Water parameters as of 12/28/12
a. Ammonia = 0 ppm
b. Nitrite = 0 ppm
c. Nitrate?20 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH = PH = 7.4
e. Test kit? API master test kit

3. Temperature = 82.7

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 57 days

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 5 angels 2 marble angels since october the leopards and colbalt blue almost 2 weeks all fish are under 2.5 incher accept the farrowella. The only fish that are new are the 3 angels the others i had since october

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no, Im getting a quarantine tank atm. Probably should be ready before tomorrow night.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? All fake
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? 3 artificial caves 1 piece of drift wood

9. a. Filtration? Rena Filstar XP2, And a Internal UV sterilizer
b. Heater? Aquaclear 50

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 5:00-20:30 the lights are on. Aquarium Equipment Model # 48PSDX, also a Top Fin LED bubble wand, but that stays off most of the time.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? No

11. a. Water change schedule? Once a Month
b. Volume of water changed? 20%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? API
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Once a Month with the water change

12. Foods? Tetra Flakes, pellets, and waffers
How often are they fed? twice a day

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Just the red lines and spots.
b. Appearance of poop? black
c. Appearance of gills? medium red

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Not yet but i have some Triple Sulfa i was going to use once i had the med tank ready.
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. I'm getting pic ready to post for you.

JRitter23 12-28-2012 05:51 PM

OMW to get my Quarantine tank and supplies. Will check the post when i get back

butterbean 12-28-2012 09:00 PM

The red gills sound like damage from high ammonia to me. One thing that I have found that helps more than anything else as far as keeping your fish healthy is frequent water changes. I always recommend 30-40% water change once a week. If you do the water change weekly along with a light vacuum your fish will usually stay healthy and disease free. If you use water conditioner and match the temp not only is the water change good for them your fish will love the fresh water.

JRitter23 12-29-2012 07:59 AM

Also I noticed the gravel that is in my 75 gallon is allowing waste to fall to the bottom of the tank. The gravel look like Pee gravel about 3/4 inch in diameter. I'm planning on getting that gravel out. I would to do live plants. any suggestions on a good substrate? And my Angels are looking better since I placed them in the hospital tank with some bacterial medicine. But I do not believe that I am out of the dark yet with them. They will not fan out there fins.... Is this from being depressed?