Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   i want crabs? ;) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/i-want-crabs-123817/)

rexpepper651 12-28-2012 12:36 AM

i want crabs? ;)

ive been reading alot about red claw crabs and some others. i keep seeing people who have had success with them in their aquarium and some who have lost fish as well. its like 50/50 whats the deal with that? its making it harder for me to decide if i could keep them. i have 2 angels which stay mostly at the top of the tank and a handfull of large Buenos aries tetras, two peppered corys and 2 khuli loachs that are always hidden. i just want one of these lil dudes maybe two. can someone help me here? ive been reading for over an hour and no one seems to agree that they are not/ are good tank mates with fish.

Shewbert 12-28-2012 10:10 AM

It all depends on the crabs you wish to purchase, in most cases the crabs just threaten the fish if they get too close, they raise themselves up and wave there claws, I've not lost a fish so far due to crab attacks.

All crabs are master escape artists, the slightest gap in a tank lid and they are gone,
they will climb up anything,
my reds will sit quietly eating a piece of cucumber, then climb up to bask on top of my filter tubes. I have some plants that cover part of the water surface, they quite happily sit cleaning up any food that is stuck in the leaves.
You can buy underwater crab dry shelters, in other wards it is a place the crab can sit in air whilst underwater, but these are a pain to clean and upkeep.
The Corries should keep out of the crabs way, but the loaches just might be winkled out of the sand/stones or substructure ie they can't escape as easily as normal tank swimmers, I can't put any snails in with my reds they are experts at eating the meat from the shells.
It is completely up to you if you wish to introduce crabs into your tank, A crab will grab a fish if the opportunity arises, but they mostly pick on the sick or dying.
Ray

redchigh 12-28-2012 12:01 PM

Redclaws are lovely, but they will eat anything they can catch.

If they have any way to trap fish, or if your fish are curious, expect to lose one or two. Id be esp. Worried about the bottom dwellers.

They also like a lot of land area... They'll survive if they can get out of the water, but in the wild they spend half their life on land.

They also need minerals in the water... Reef salt works, or "rift lake" buffer.

rexpepper651 12-28-2012 11:12 PM

thank you ray! thats the info i needed. ill just stick to keeping fish in my 50g. ive been thinking of getting another tank in the future maybe thats where the lil crabs can go!

dodgefate 02-10-2013 11:03 PM

I can actually offer advice on this one. Yeay finally! So I had purchased 4 red claw crabs (2 males and 2 females, males have larger claws) all of them over the course of 3 months died off. Liking the fact of keeping crabs as pets I found fiddler crabs and gave them a try. I have had two fiddler crabs for over 2 months now without any problems. They move around a lot more than the red claw crabs and are just better to look at. The male has a big claw but never uses it. Their claws that they use for eating are tiny compared to the red clawed crabs and they don't bother the fish at all. The red claws were waste full gluttons. They would eat half a fish and then just leave the rest to rot. Word of advice though even in my 55 gallon tank they still find a way to climb up to the top and hang out on the lip under the filter so make sure everything is closed off good on the top! Let me know if you need any more advice!

seren haf 03-18-2013 05:50 PM

Have you considered Thai micro crab, Limnopilos naiyanetri? They are small (1cm) spider crabs that are active all day. I have had red claw crabs before and although they did not eat any of my fish they were pretty boring as they preferred to sit out of the water on a platform for most of the time sunning themselves! lol

I have been researching these for a while now and was wondering if any other members had these and could give me decent pro/cons?

dodgefate 03-18-2013 11:34 PM

Hey I just ordered one of these: Underwater Package Deals - Atlantis Underwater Islands Put it in before work and it was not that hard to do. Ill let you know how my crabs like it..... This way you can have crabs in a big tank!

frankiefire 03-19-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seren haf (Post 1477129)
Have you considered Thai micro crab, Limnopilos naiyanetri? They are small (1cm) spider crabs that are active all day. I have had red claw crabs before and although they did not eat any of my fish they were pretty boring as they preferred to sit out of the water on a platform for most of the time sunning themselves! lol

I have been researching these for a while now and was wondering if any other members had these and could give me decent pro/cons?

I was interested in these when I saw them online. My lfs store had them and when I saw how small they were in person, I decided against them since it's almost impossible to see them. My red cherry shrimp are larger than them. lol.

1077 03-19-2013 11:21 AM

I"m kinda leaning toward's Dwarf Mexican crayfish . I'm in hopes that they might like trumpet snails'.
Maybe even be able to raise a few to trade for store credit, at one of the only Mom and Pop stores left in my neck of the wood's.
Placed about a half dozen assassin snail's in heavily infested tank (trumpet snail's) but have not seen anything but dead pond snail's thus far.the trumpet snail's are still many.:-x

Jorunder 05-01-2013 03:19 AM

You could go with some red claws, personally I like to mix it up, I have kept Panthers, fiddlers, and red claws in the same tank with no problems. They will go after any sick fish, and all of the crabs I have listed MUST have aquarium salt. All crabs must have air access. I get my inverts from azgardens.com and my shrimp from eliteinverts.com. HAVE FUN WITH YOUR CRABS