Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Wanting low tech, low cost, planted tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/wanting-low-tech-low-cost-planted-123813/)

Snype2live 12-27-2012 11:50 PM

Wanting low tech, low cost, planted tank

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I am wanting to start a cheap low tech planted tank. I need some advice and help on how to start it. If any of you remember me I was the one that started my 29 gallon community tank here. Well it's doing great and well nothing to do with it except enjoy it. So i went out and purchased a used 10 gallon tank. Well out of all the stuff I had laying around because I am a collector of junk, I managed to find a Aquaclear 50 filter, a Tetra 5-15 gallon heater, and some sand substrate that will later cap whatever I decided to use as plant substrate. As far as lighting, I have 2 10 watt, 6500k aquarium plant bulbs from lights of america. SO thats where I am at. I need help and direction I am wanting to do a nice shrimp tank with 3 rocks with some sort of carpet and smaller swords or grass.

Snype2live 12-27-2012 11:52 PM

Btw the back ground is a homemade blue painters tape background lol. Do any of you remember me from my problems with 29gallon community tank btw its doing great I only lost like 4 fish to old age/ injuries from swimming into siphon during water changes

Snype2live 12-28-2012 12:02 AM

CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate would this substrate be complete for plants and would it be ok to use with a sand cap. I'm not looking to use liquid ferts right of the top i know ill have to later or something to put nutrients back in substrate

redchigh 12-28-2012 02:12 AM

If you plan on planting heavy from day 1 (I'd go with a small swordplant in each back corner, 5-10 crypts/aponogetons/other rooted plants, plus your foreground plants, and some mosses for good measure) then I'd reccomend soil.

Basically, follow the guide in my signature, but with real soil (from somewhere away from fertilisers). I have several identical setups.

Liquid fertilisers help, but the plants I mentioned dont really need them.

Btw, because I bet it will come up, I wouldn't use peat or any "airy" or "fluffy" soil mix. Just dirt is best.

beaslbob 12-28-2012 09:26 AM

I am impressed with your setup especially the lights.

Anyrate I use 1" canadian sphagum peat moss (1'x1'x3' plastic bale $11), 1" play sand (50# bag $3), and 1" pro choice select (50# bag $8). Put in one layer, wet, clean and level, the do next layer.

Before filling the tank I add plants. 4 bunches of anacharis, 4 vals, 4 small potted types, 1 amazon sword.

Then fill the tank with water poured over a dish.

wait one week.

add 1 fish

wait 1 week with no food added.

Stock up

Start feeding 1 flake per day.

For reference: Pro's Choice Products

As a reminder: no water changes just top off, no chemicals, no mechanical filtration/circulation, no chemicals. Literally just the tank, substrate, fish, and water.

just what I do and worth at most

Snype2live 12-28-2012 09:44 AM

so no filter would need to be run in your type of tank beaslbob.... what if i already have one? and redchich I'm not sure about the soil bottom tank. What would I need to do if i wanted to use CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate

beaslbob 12-28-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snype2live (Post 1365218)
so no filter would need to be run in your type of tank beaslbob.... what if i already have one? and redchich I'm not sure about the soil bottom tank. What would I need to do if i wanted to use CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate

I don't recommend a filter with the idea that the stuff (food) the goes into the tank feeds the plants.

But I guess you could.

With other substrates I would still wet, level, clean, plant, then fill the tank.

my .02

Snype2live 12-28-2012 10:22 AM

does anyone have any experiance with the CaribSea® FloraMax™ Planted Aquarium Substrate

Snype2live 12-28-2012 10:30 AM

I am really interested in the soil substrate just scared of it and messing it up

beaslbob 12-28-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snype2live (Post 1365269)
I am really interested in the soil substrate just scared of it and messing it up

Understand completely.

I used to just put sand in fill the tank then plant. with or without peat moss the tank was extremely cloudy at first. Like you could only see 1" into the water. then two days later it was almost totally clear as all that stuff had settled down. I also don't have circulation and mechanical filters which undoubtly helps the things settle down.

By putting sand over the peat moss or soil you trap that under the sand. And that tank is almost totally clear immediately. And totally clear in a few hours.

The red baked clay (pc select) I use has some iron but basically it looks like red aquarium gravel which I like.

my .02