Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   2.5 gallon stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/2-5-gallon-stocking-123800/)

squishylittlefishies 12-27-2012 09:35 PM

2.5 gallon stocking

I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium that I got as a gift. It has water, sand and a filter, all from an established aquarium. I was keeping a fiddler crab in it but it escaped and plumeted to the floor, later dying a gruesome death. I am too traumatized to get another crab, so what can I put in it? Besides a betta? No bettas. The tank dimensions are 12x6x8 inches. Any ideas are great, not just fish! Thanks a bunch!

JDM 12-27-2012 09:41 PM

Shrimp tank? I've been considering shrimp but there are quite a few issues (primarily gotten eaten) for my likely fish stocking. The are some colourful shrimp that might make a cool setup.

I actually found a shrimp specific forum somewhere.

Jeff.

jentralala 12-28-2012 01:50 AM

Snails? You could have a few varieties. I actually love snails. You could have pond, ramshorn, and MTS.

Bluewind 12-28-2012 02:27 AM

Now what's wrong with a Betta? I have a veiltail male named Gus who's a total sweetie. And then there are females in need of a good home. Different colors and fin types and personalities. Just curious, that's all ;-)

Cherry Shrimp would be fun. Someone gave me a link to epicfish.net which has a really good deal on them. Ghost Shrimp are another low cost option.

You might be able to hold 2 or 3 Mystery Snails in that as long as you kept up pwc. They're neat little guys :-D

Oh! And maybe an ADF. Such cute little frogs. Just make sure that he can't get out. They are fully aquatic, but can jump out if there are holes!
Posted via Mobile Device

squishylittlefishies 12-28-2012 10:07 AM

I dunno. I've had bettas before and they're just not that great. Also, I know some bettas are super fun and active, but a lot of them just sit on the bottom and play dead. There's no way to predict personality type before hand! I'm glad you're enjoying yours though. I've considered ADFs, but don't they need live food? So far I'm thinking shrimp will be my best plan. I have a few amanos and a ghostie in my main tank I could move over there.I could make it into a mini planted aquarium. Can shrimp live in an unheated tank? I don't have a heater. Can any fish? any other ideas?Oh! and the snails! what is the most interesting type of snail?
Thanks!

PhilipPhish 12-28-2012 10:13 AM

Bettas are usually very lively when they have heaters, they are tropical fish you know. There for they enjoy warm water.

I think a shrimp tank would be a very good idea. As far as plants, they also tend to need heaters...There are cheap tank heaters for 2.5 gallons that you simply insert under the gravel, like a heating pad.

Bluewind 12-28-2012 01:16 PM

Phil is right. As long as your tank has clean water, is heated to a proper temp, he gets a healthy diet, and he has some decore to mess with (hiding holes, plants, and so on), healthy Betta males are actually quite active. If they become sulky, you can always rearange their stuff which always does the tick for me ;-)

From what I gather from my experence and that of others, they also like to bond with a single piece of decor that they clame as theirs. For Gus, it's a piece of fake coral. For another, a pineapple. Another had a castle. They treat it like a little kid would a teddy bear! :lol:

And then there's bubblenests. When little guys are happy and healthy, they ofter will go to the top of the water and blow bubble after bubble until they create this very cool foam on top of the water. It is meant to keep the eggs in, but they will do it rather a female is around or not. I find it beautiful. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

squishylittlefishies 12-28-2012 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the convincing betta comments. I love them so much more now, but I still don't want one. sorry.
however, I just did some intense research! I have decided on either a cold water white cloud mountain minnow tank, or a heated dwarf puffer. I read like a million different forums of people who have done both in a 2.5. I also talked to my highly knowledgeable lfs staff. I think the lil puffer will work out better though because they are actually smaller and don't need to be in groups like the minnows. According to the 1inch per gallon rule I could actually fit three... jk. I know better than that ;)
Anyway, so much personality, so cute, so exotic! What do ya think?

squishylittlefishies 12-28-2012 02:34 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention numbers... either one dp, or 2-3 wcmms.

AK Fresh Water 12-28-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1365599)
Thanks for all the convincing betta comments. I love them so much more now, but I still don't want one. sorry.
however, I just did some intense research! I have decided on either a cold water white cloud mountain minnow tank, or a heated dwarf puffer. I read like a million different forums of people who have done both in a 2.5. I also talked to my highly knowledgeable lfs staff. I think the lil puffer will work out better though because they are actually smaller and don't need to be in groups like the minnows. According to the 1inch per gallon rule I could actually fit three... jk. I know better than that ;)
Anyway, so much personality, so cute, so exotic! What do ya think?

Neither of those fish are appropriate for a 2.5 gal tank.