Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ugh.....maybe sand was NOTa good idea after all!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ugh-maybe-sand-nota-good-idea-123780/)

Sqbear46 12-27-2012 05:49 PM

Ugh.....maybe sand was NOTa good idea after all!!

So if you read some of my posts you know that I got my 46 gal up and running. I then added fish(s) that i had in my other tanks (just the bigger ones that needed more growing/swimming room) So one of those was my huge Pleco that i call "killer"

He's been in the new tank about a week and every night he burrows under the driftwood and in every corner of the tank, so that sends the white sand everywhere in the tank and keeps it cloudy........gggrrrrrr.....I'm trying to find a log he can hide in, but every lfs I go to don't have a good selection or even one big enough for him. I don't want to use PVC pipe.

Other than that the tank looks good and the fish are happy to have more room.

Bluewind 12-27-2012 06:28 PM

Did you rinse the sand first? Until the water ran clear and a couple extra times for good measure?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sqbear46 12-27-2012 07:25 PM

Oh yes for days, before I added the fish and during cycling the water was crystal clear.

JDM 12-27-2012 08:56 PM

... But I'll bet that Killer is one happy Pleco rolling around in the sand.

Do you have any leaves on the bottom? Perhaps some oak leaves might give him something to get under without having to actually burrow.

Jeff.

Sqbear46 12-27-2012 09:08 PM

Nope, just some live plants......right now he's chewing away on some zucchini I have in ther for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sqbear46 12-27-2012 09:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 71944

Attachment 71945

Attachment 71946

Sorry the last pic is a bit cloudy, Killer likes to kick up sand in the evening!

squishylittlefishies 12-27-2012 09:44 PM

Instead of trying to find him a cave to hide in you can just make him one! just take some of your driftwood and rocks and prop them up in a corner. he can hide in there, and if he still wants to burrow, the sand will stay mostly inside the cave. If you are too woried about him knocking it over, you could buy one of those red clay pots. You can find them anywhere, like a craft store, hardware store, even walmart I bet! They make nice caves and look natural. That might help!

Nilet699 12-27-2012 09:56 PM

What sand did you actually use? As that looks like some crazy fine beach in Barbados white sand?

Sqbear46 12-27-2012 10:06 PM

I used: Carib Sea Aragonite sand from PetsMart.

redchigh 12-27-2012 10:20 PM

Aragonite might be dissolving in your water-

I havent been following your other posts, but you realise aragonite will try to raise/buffer your ph to 8 right?