Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Loach fin (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/loach-fin-123738/)

Nilet699 12-27-2012 07:37 AM

Loach fin

1 Attachment(s)
Now this little one is my favourite because of his fin, and the fact we always go for th abandoned or unwanted animals/anything really. BUT just thought I'd check it and see if he was just a victim of nipping/this is a birth defect/disease etc. He(?) suffers no ill effects with swimming etc etc and isn't singled out, so really this is just for my piece of mind.

fish monger 12-27-2012 08:13 AM

Looks like it could be a nip or rip. The fin looks healthy with no signs of disease. It could grow back. If he's happy, healthy, getting along well, he'll probably be just fine.

Nilet699 12-28-2012 06:41 AM

He is getting along fine etc. I've read somewhere about adding something in to hello it grow back.

I'm a little against it as 1/ it's adding chemicals I dont Yet understand, I would before I did, and 2/ he swims so cutely. Haha. Honestly I'll add a vid at some point of him with the others, he has to work a little harder I can see that but he has more of a 'wiggle'. Honestly, I get a massive smile everytime I see it.

However if it's best for th fish, this rules all....

fish monger 12-28-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1365147)
He is getting along fine etc. I've read somewhere about adding something in to hello it grow back.

I'm a little against it as 1/ it's adding chemicals I dont Yet understand, I would before I did, and 2/ he swims so cutely. Haha. Honestly I'll add a vid at some point of him with the others, he has to work a little harder I can see that but he has more of a 'wiggle'. Honestly, I get a massive smile everytime I see it.

However if it's best for th fish, this rules all....

I wouldn't do anything at this point. Just keep up healthy practices for the entire tank. One thing that I wonder about is why such a relatively minor difference in fin shape would effect his swimming technique. Do you notice anything else different about him ? Again, if he's getting along well, he'll probably live a long and healthy life. I think it's great that you brought him home. He's one lucky fish.

Nilet699 12-28-2012 07:26 AM

See I'm not so sure I'd class it as a minor change. He's effectively missing half of his tail fin, which is like us missing one leg surely? His swimming isn't that much different though, just seems to have to work harder to compensate for the thrust missing in his fin is what I assume. I'll have to get a video later!

And of course we did, if I ever go down for 5 fish and there's an injured one too, he'll always be an extra one going home with us at least.

I regularly find it necessary to inform my gf of the 'in need of rescuing' dwarf roborovski hamsters at our local 'pets at home' as its been 14 months since the last one died and I think it's about time now. She actually ended uo in tears last time when I told her how sad the last one looked- we went straight after work the next day, but he'd gone. I was a bit mean, throwing out 'no one else wants him', manipulation at its best. HAHA. God I'm rambling on today!

fish monger 12-28-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1365163)
See I'm not so sure I'd class it as a minor change. He's effectively missing half of his tail fin, which is like us missing one leg surely? His swimming isn't that much different though, just seems to have to work harder to compensate for the thrust missing in his fin is what I assume. I'll have to get a video later!

And of course we did, if I ever go down for 5 fish and there's an injured one too, he'll always be an extra one going home with us at least.

I regularly find it necessary to inform my gf of the 'in need of rescuing' dwarf roborovski hamsters at our local 'pets at home' as its been 14 months since the last one died and I think it's about time now. She actually ended uo in tears last time when I told her how sad the last one looked- we went straight after work the next day, but he'd gone. I was a bit mean, throwing out 'no one else wants him', manipulation at its best. HAHA. God I'm rambling on today!

I missed the tail fin. Just saw a little chunk out of his dorsal. Either way, as long as he has a healthy environment, I think it should turn out well.

Nilet699 12-28-2012 10:27 AM

Lol fishmonger! How did you miss that whopping piece of missing fin. And tbh i had missed the little one in his dorsal because of the bigger one!

So, all is still well then. Ok works for me :-) And theres been no contradictions which is always a good thing :) He shall live on then as my favourite :-)

Nilet699 12-28-2012 01:42 PM

Sigh, my poor poorly paul (as sophie has named him). so i get home today and go for a looksie, cant find him. thats ok assume hes behind the log. get home an hour later, and still nothing. anyway, iv finally found him 45 mins agho chilling under the big roots log, and hasnt moved for a good hour, all the rest went over and hes suddenly exactly same position yet i can now see his face rather than just his broekn tail fin- they leave and hes back to showing only fin. was great timing as id just stripped off my shirt to move the log an inch to see if he'd got stuck but obv not. So i'll have to keep an eye, hopefully nothing serious a ive never not seen any of them not move for more than a matter of minutes, and he chills more than the others but still only short term. its an hour time to feeding time though, so fingers crossed....

Nilet699 12-28-2012 03:35 PM

Ok, so feeding time, and out he popped. It was peas for the first time tonight too, wanted to try and and they have gone down a treat :-)

Now, his colour is looking much duller, he looks more ''yellowy''. should i be concerned about this?

Nilet699 12-29-2012 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bump on the last post anyone?

Day 2, all others are mulling about again and he's hiding again... today even more ingeniously....
Look bang centre of the pic