Betta with swelling
I have a female Betta, Xia, who has a swollen abdomen. It started apx 22 days ago.
The first thing I did was decrease the aqua. salt at water change then didnt add it at the next water change. (So from 1/4+ Tea to 1/4 Tea. then none)
On day 5 I started a round of Kanaplex. I did two rounds of it with no visible results.
On day 15 I did another complete water change and started Maracyn 1 & 2. (Its left the water cloudy.) I am currently on day 8 of that with no visible change and the swelling has increased over the 22 days.
She has eaten good all but 4 days where she ate less. Her poop seams normal.
She skims the surface a lot and seams to gulp air. This started before the meds. but has increased.
I have had Xia just over 3 years so I know she is an older fish.
So Im wondering if there is anything else I could try. I have medicated fish food from Jungle brand and Maracyn Plus on hand.
1. Size of tank? 2 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? Dont know
b. Nitrite? Dont know
c. Nitrate? Dont know
d. pH, KH and GH? Dont know
e. Test kit? No
3. Temperature? Apx 78-9* With heater.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Fresh water ... Bottled Spring water
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? I do a compleat water change every 5-6 days. Same tank she has had for over 3 years.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? Only one female betta, apx2" long, had her over 3 years.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? ??
8. a. Any live plants? No
Fake plants? One.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Bare.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Just plant and a terra cotta pot. Had both for years.
9. a. Filtration? No
b. Heater? Yes
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Kitchen lights for a few hours at night.
b. Any sunlight
exposure? How long? Normal day light. No direct light.
11. a. Water change schedule? Every 5-6 days
b. Volume of water changed? All of it, 2 gals.
c. Well water, tap water, Bottle Spring water.
d. Water conditioner used? Yes...Novaqua & AmQuel
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? n/a
12. Foods? Am 3 Hakari Bio-Gold pellets presoaked. PM 3 thawed Hakari frozen Blood worms
How often are they fed? 2 times a day.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Swolen abdomen. Most days eating normal. Several days ago didnt eat all her food.
b. Appearance of poop? Normal
c. Appearance of gills? Normal...as best I can tell.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Yes
b. What meds were used? 2 rounds of Kanaplex (Kanamycen). Then 7 days of Maracyn 1&2.
Hey Hmom ,
I was reading and wanted to ask if she has any scales missing?
By that I meaning do you think she may be suffering from droopsy ?
Im no betta expert by far I just recently found my way into the species but Have read aloottt of info and researched them and thats kinda what it sounds like to me , Have you posted in the betta forum ? The ppl there would be more likely to be able to help you might look up olefishlady and send her a private on the problem .
I will look further and try to find possible anwsers for you , it would /might help to have a pic of the girl on page for everyone to see exactly her state as well. And you need a water test kit, that is a must have for aquatics , especially in times such as this.
I hope she gets better soon
Charlie, No scales missing. No "pine cone-ing" yet.
I didnt know there was a betta forum. I searched Bettas and didnt find it. I will look again.
No problem ,,
You were right to post here I just bet though that in the betta section those guys / girls really know more about the specific species you know so they may and will I bet be able to help you.
I really hope all goes well for you the members here will do everything they can to help.
keep me posted on her condition.And dont forget to get you a water test kit, ( a liquid ) the strip ones suck i started with them and they would read diffrent if you did it more than once you would get diffrent readings every time lol not good.
Any way god bless
charlie & family;-)
Thank you! I found the betta forum and they are giving me great betta advice!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2