Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Fin rot on Emerald catfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fin-rot-emerald-catfish-123625/)
Fin rot on Emerald catfish?
Hi all, I'm new here.
I noticed that my emerald catfish's dorsal fin seems to be torn. I'm worried it may be fin rot, but I haven't had any experience with that, so I don't know what it looks like exactly. All the pictures online look to be 'more advanced' cases.
I've attached a picture.
He seems to be acting/looking normal otherwise. He's always been fairly skittish, so it may just be that he got hung up on one of the plants and tore his fin. I'm just paranoid, I guess.
We moved a couple of weeks ago, but all the fish managed to survive and have been in good spirits.
1. Size of tank?
2. Water parameters
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?
all good, according to tetra easy strips
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
3 otocinclus, 1 silver molly, 1 black molly, 1 platy, 2 zebra danios, 2 glofish/zebra danios, 1 emerald catfish, 1 julli cory, 1 mystery snail
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No, but they've all been there for at least 3 months with no problems
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
rocks, a small piece of wood, a plastic buddah
9. a. Filtration?
The kind that hangs off the back of the tank
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
lamp from noon - 10pm
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
indirect sunlight during the day
11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
RO water from kroger
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
weekly with water change
flakes 2x day, shrimp pellets and sinking veggie tablets alternating 1x day, blood worms/brine shrimp 1x week. Also, sometimes a slice of zucchini
How often are they fed?
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
I'm not very familiar with this disease or the species, but from a quick search online, it doesn't appear to be fin rot. Hopefully others with more experience in this will add their thoughts.
Doesn't really look like fin rot to me, from my experience with fin rot the edges become whitish or reddish in color around the torn area.
That's definitely reassuring. From what I've read, there's always a white area around the rot, but like I said... most example pictures show it pretty far gone and I have no experience (hopefully will never have experience :).
Also, none of my other fish seem to be affected. Is it common for multiple fish to have it at the same time?
No not from my experience, fin rot is not contagious, I don't think. But it's usually cause by bad water quality so if his fin is torn make sure you keep up the water changes.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.