Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What else should I add: (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-else-should-i-add-123567/)

Aurie 12-25-2012 01:50 AM

What else should I add:

So my tank has settled into a nice peaceful tank and I'm going to add something else to it, but I"m not sure what.

Tank:
29 Gallon
Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 (came with the tank)
100w heater
Black sand substrate
Dual T5 normal output or t5 HO (came with our new 46 but using it for now on the 29 although I"m not sold on it yet)

Plants
Jenny
Crypt Wentii Green
Microsword
Wisteria
Water Sprite
Xmas Moss (it's pretty pathetic looking atm)
Hydroponically grown Sword

Fish:
6 Julii Cory
8 Rosy Tetra
1 Parkinson Rainbow (yeah I know he'll get bigger but he's cool for now, he'll find his way into the 46 once it's cycled)

The problem that I have atm is that all of these fish are in the lower half of the tank. The top of the tank is absolutely barren. I'd like a smaller fish that will stay mid to upper part but is south american in nature. I know I can get neons, but I've heard rumors that because of over farming and over breeding they can be weak stock. I'd like something like them that is hardy.

I don't know my hardness but I know my area has soft water
My ph is 7.2 out of the tap

I water change 25% every 7-10 days

Any suggestions on fish or plants to add would be greatly appreciated
This tank is pretty tall. I have another piece of driftwood that I'm going to add on the left eventually. It's an arch shape

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7...1221100712.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

redchigh 12-25-2012 02:01 AM

They stay near the bottom because your lights are too bright. Add some floating plants for shelter.

Even a dark background on the back could help.

As for secies, go through the fish profiles. Most of the tetras would fit well. Perhaps even rasboras.

jeaninel 12-25-2012 02:03 AM

How about a group of Hatchetfish? But you would need a top for your tank as they are jumpers.

Silver Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus sternicla) Profile

Rummynose are nice. Mine were pretty much mid swimmers. And they shoal pretty nicely together. Get a group of at least 6.

Aurie 12-25-2012 02:08 AM

They stayed at the bottom even before we changed the light. The light that's on it is intended for the 46 gallon bowfront that we just got an we're in the process of cleaning it up.

I'll put the old lighting back on it tomorrow and see if that helps them.
I had floating plants but they didn't make it. I'm open to suggestions on those too. I like long root systems. I think it looks really good. Frogbit/water sprite or something else? I have some dwarf water lettuce in my 10 gallon but it's stayed small for so long and it just seems to die off.

I was thinking of Rasboras, I like them a lot .. are they south american? I thought they were asian. I'm trying not to do something asian if that's the case because I just traded in some WCMM and my husband is kinda mad at me for it. The tank was way too warm for them though.

djembekah 12-25-2012 10:36 PM

I really love frogbit for long roots. my asian water grass also has quite long roots. also, i've got salvinia, which though the roots are shorter, really multiplies and does such a good job of covering the top of my own 29 gallon tank that i remove it and throw it in other tanks.

Byron 01-03-2013 07:03 PM

Floating plants would help in several ways. But with or without, Rosy Tetra are going to remain in the lower half, and among plants--they do not like open spaces. I've had this species for years in my 115g and they have their "spot" just right of centre under some large-leaf swords and that is where they remain. My Roberts Tetra do the same.

As you want South American, there are a few tetra that swim in the upper half; Hemigrammus pulcher comes to mind. Or some pencilfish. Have a look at Nannostomus eques for something different; this is quite a hardy fish for pencils. Or for more colour, the Nannostomus marginatus or Nannostomus mortenthaleri. And the hatchetfish someone mentioned, but I would go with the Marble (Carnegiella strigata) for more interest. Click the shaded names for the profiles.

Byron.

nbn 01-08-2013 03:40 AM

You can get some Zebra Danio, they also come with neon version.