Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Can you re use the carbon filter medium if you wash it ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/can-you-re-use-carbon-filter-123504/)

silvershark 12-24-2012 10:00 AM

Can you re use the carbon filter medium if you wash it ?
 
I would like to know if you would be able to reuse the black carbon filter in the fluval u4 internal filter, it says on the instructions to change them every two weeks but surely this will turn out to be expensive to buy them all the time, is ther any allternative ? Also i am still cycling my tank do i need these black carbon filters ? Will the filter still do its job if i dont use them, Thank you all very much.

Reefing Madness 12-24-2012 10:06 AM

No, you can't reuse the Carbon. After about 4 weeks its full and will only leach back into the system. You can however, remove the carbon from the filter and use the filter itself, after risning it out.

mikey1 12-24-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvershark (Post 1360600)
I would like to know if you would be able to reuse the black carbon filter in the fluval u4 internal filter, it says on the instructions to change them every two weeks but surely this will turn out to be expensive to buy them all the time, is ther any allternative ? Also i am still cycling my tank do i need these black carbon filters ? Will the filter still do its job if i dont use them, Thank you all very much.


carbon only last a week or two....so the company is correct when stating that it should be replaced,

however, carbon serves absolutely no purpose unless you are trying to remove a medication you have added to the water, other than that carbon is waste and does nothing.....i have not used carbon in my filters for over 10 years,

in place of the carbon put more foam, wool, or bio balls in

Reefing Madness 12-24-2012 12:53 PM

Carbon use in the aquarium seems to be misunderstood. It seems like almost every book recommends it. Most fishkeepers use it. Every filter has it either built in or available as a separate media. However, it is completely unnecessary for constant use.

Carbon has certain functions in the aquarium. The main one is removing medications. Many medications are very strong and harmful and if not used properly or left in the tank too long can end up causing more harm than good. Because of this it is a good idea to use carbon to remove medications after treatment is complete.

There are a few other benefits of carbon. They are mainly in the removal of odor and discoloration. However, these things should not be an issue at all if enough water changes are being done. At this point it would simply be ‘if it can help, why not use it?’ That is where the other issues come in.

silvershark 12-24-2012 05:08 PM

Thank you, reefing madness, thats what i wanted to know.

silvershark 12-24-2012 05:10 PM

Thank you, mickey1
thats all i need to know.

madyotto 12-28-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1360798)
Carbon use in the aquarium seems to be misunderstood. It seems like almost every book recommends it. Most fishkeepers use it. Every filter has it either built in or available as a separate media. However, it is completely unnecessary for constant use.I

Carbon has certain functions in the aquarium. The main one is removing medications. Many medications are very strong and harmful and if not used properly or left in the tank too long can end up causing more harm than good. Because of this it is a good idea to use carbon to remove medications after treatment is complete.

There are a few other benefits of carbon. They are mainly in the removal of odor and discoloration. However, these things should not be an issue at all if enough water changes are being done. At this point it would simply be ‘if it can help, why not use it?’ That is where the other issues come in.

OMG

Do some.research carbon has many job

The job it does the worst out of all of these is to remove medication as any metals present in all medication deactivates the carbon rendering it useless do medication boxs tell you to use carbon toremove med or a water change
The. Main jobs. Carbon is good at is removing odor. Polishing water removing color and helping to keep kh more stable very needed for a stable Ph
Posted via Mobile Device

madyotto 12-28-2012 06:54 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

madyotto 12-28-2012 06:55 AM

Also you can buy carbon rods and put them in media bags which can fit any filter and last months
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 12-28-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madyotto (Post 1365150)
OMG

Do some.research carbon has many job

The job it does the worst out of all of these is to remove medication as any metals present in all medication deactivates the carbon rendering it useless do medication boxs tell you to use carbon toremove med or a water change
The. Main jobs. Carbon is good at is removing odor. Polishing water removing color and helping to keep kh more stable very needed for a stable Ph
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't need to do any research on the subject. I know what it does. Its not needed, and when its full, it will leach into your system.
If you want a water poisher get a Micron Filter, it works better.
And it doesn't do much for your PH and KH sorry to say, gotta watch that Wikipedia, they are not always right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2